Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spreadsheet formulation for recipes in a 30bbl

Hey all,

Getting ready to make the jump from 1/2 bbl to 30bbl. Pretty daunting task. I was wondering if anyone could help with link to help create a recipe spreadsheet for such a large scale. I'm sure there are things I will over look. If anyone has built some they could share that would be great. I could make changes to my setup on the fly. From everything I've seen recipe software doesn't work as well as it should. I was originally thinking about using beersmith 2 but I've vome to rethink that now and was hoping to build my own Spreadsheet or start with aoftware good template from someone else.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

Sean Goddard
    Brewmaster
    Whitewater Brewing Co. LTD

If you can get your hands on ProMash scaling works quite well there.

Comment

After using the commercial software solutions out there, I cannot imagine trying to make a spreadsheet that would even come close to getting all the calculations right. I've used BeerSmith and Beer Alchemy, and except maybe for super hoppy beers, using the equipment profile function in the software always works well. The trick is knowing how to use the software. It took some time to get the equipment profiles dialed in, but now I don't even have to think about it. I can brew a 10 gallon, 3 BBL, 5 BBL, or 15 BBL batch of our beers by changing one or two drop-downs. I highly recommend trying to make the dedicated software work before trying to customize your own solution.

Comment

Good to know someone has had good results with software. Thanks spetrovits! I'll definitely look into this too.

Cheers,

Sean Goddard
        Brewmaster

Comment

Scaling is all about working in rates (e.g. % extract for grain/adjuncts, lb/bbl for late/dry hops) and understanding your how equipment impacts efficiencies (e.g. baseline brewhouse efficiency and hop utilizations). Unrelated to scaling, but often overlooked, are how variables like mash thickness impact brewhouse efficiency, how original gravity and target IBUs can impact hop bitterness saturation, and how processes like yeast propagations can impact your recipe targets. My spreadsheets have gradually incorporated these considerations as I've become aware of them over 13ish years, and I've used them to plan recipes that have ranged in scale from 5-gallon homebrew batches to 35-bbl commercial batches. You can download them here:

I put this page together while a friend and I tried to open a small brewpub in Sun Prairie, WI in 2008-2009. If you're interested in our startup experiences, you can read about them at the RePublic Brewpub weblog. Since we dissolved the business, I've used this site primarily to share calculations

The Recipe_Barrels and Recipes_Multiple files will probably be the most useful, but they won't be worth much if you don't change the assumptions to match your equipment.

Joe

Comment

Thanks jwalts! Great info.

Cheers,

Sean Goddard
            Brewmaster

Comment

If you can afford a 30bbl brewhouse, you can afford software. Buy a program, and save your self the headache.

Comment

Very true alphaacid. Any recommendations on software?

Cheers,

Sean Goddard
                Brewmaster

Comment

Working...
                X