grundy's rated at 35 psi??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grundy's rated at 35 psi??

Maybe someone can help me out here?? Our brewpub has been open for two weeks now and Im finally bringing my own beers on tap. I set up a complete system from micromatic with gas blender/glycol chiller tap system. In february I went through the micromatic dispensing class and have everything set up just the way I want it. I have been dispenising guest beers for the last two weeks while waiting to start puting our beers on tap. Anyways finally the time has come to put the first one on. The problem Im having is that my tanks were stamped at 35 psi working pressure and 45 psi test pressure. So i figured that 22 psi would not be an issue. But everytime I climb to about 18 psi my pressure relief valves starts slowly venting out gas. Its a micromat pressure relief valve, is there anyway to adjust this? Or am I pushing the limit of these tanks with 22 psi? Sorry for such a long post but it would be nice if someone could clear this up for me..

Thanks

Kyle

You're not pushing the limits of your tank, you're pushing the limits of your pressure relief valve! I don't know if your valves are adjustable (check with Micromatic). How well do your beers pour at, say, 16 psi?

Cheers, Tim

Comment

How long is your beer run to the tap? You should be able to push beer on a fairly long run with less than 20 psi. The colder the beer the better your beer run will work.
      I wouldn't worry about the valve. You just need to figure out how you can push at a lower psi. If you have a problem with foaming you may have to wrap the line in glycol (if you haven't already).

Comment

Yea, Ill get ahold of the manufacturer of the relief valves and see if there adjustable. 16 psi is just enough to get it to the tap. It pours well at 20-22 psi. Thanks

Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by kylesmi
          Yea, Ill get ahold of the manufacturer of the relief valves and see if there adjustable. 16 psi is just enough to get it to the tap. It pours well at 20-22 psi. Thanks

Kyle
          It should be a matter of replacing the spring to a 30 psi unit. I've "upgraded" 10 Grundies this way with no problems.
          Cheers & I'm out!
          David R. Pierce
          NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
          POB 343
          New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

We've also shimmed under the spring with disks of copper flashing, so that the spring is loaded more. We found that we could adjust the pressure at which the PRV opened by about 2 psi per shim.
            Linus Hall
            Yazoo Brewing
            Nashville, TN
            www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Working...
            X