Plastic Mash Tun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic Mash Tun

Some breweries have had success with plastic fermenters, but has anyone looked into the feasibility of using a plastic mash tun? Coolers are commonly used for mash tuns in homebrewing with great success, so why don't you ever see plastic used on the commercial level? I understand a cooler holds heat much better than a single wall of plastic, but I would venture to guess there is very little temperature loss from any grain bed that is 5+ bbls. Thoughts?
    Christopher K

The biggest problem with plastic of any kind a commercial brewery is durability. Plastic will breakdown very quickly from constant heat and more likely the cleaning chemicals. Another big problem is size and strength. Where are going to find a 10-30bbl plastic vessel big enough and strong enough to handle thousands of lbs of grain and water while being raked?

Comment

I was speaking more on the nano side of things- 3-5 BBLs. If someone is looking to start at this size they'll obviously be trying to cut costs wherever they can since it's probably cost that is prohibiting them from going bigger in the first place. But, good point about the chemicals breaking down the plastic.
      Christopher K

Comment

Lee Chase at Automatic in San Diego mashes in an IBC. I think he makes 8.5-10 bbl batches.

Rich DeLano
        rich@thebrewinlair.com

Comment

Excellent! I will look more into it. Thanks.
          Christopher K

Comment

Originally posted by ckresge View Post
            I was speaking more on the nano side of things- 3-5 BBLs. If someone is looking to start at this size they'll obviously be trying to cut costs wherever they can since it's probably cost that is prohibiting them from going bigger in the first place. But, good point about the chemicals breaking down the plastic.
            Not trying to be a troll, but all the chemicals I buy come in plastic containers. Perhaps PP, PC, PET I'm not sure.

Comment

In the brewery there are only a couple of things that you can control to maximize your profit. 1) Having the best designed mash tun you can afford to ensure the optimum efficiency. 2) Labour is the 2nd and having an efficient mash tun which will perform perfectly with out slow run off or stuck mash also help to keep the labour footprint at a minimum.

Comment

As far as the chemicals shipped in plastic, you're absolutely correct. But, those containers most likely don't come fit with tri clamp valves, gaskets, false bottom, ect. All of these pieces must function very well, without gaps, or warping, or piting, or broken seals.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by R.stewart View Post
                  As far as the chemicals shipped in plastic, you're absolutely correct. But, those containers most likely don't come fit with tri clamp valves, gaskets, false bottom, ect. All of these pieces must function very well, without gaps, or warping, or piting, or broken seals.
                  Or operate at 154F-ish on a constant basis.
                  Kevin Shertz
                  Chester River Brewing Company
                  Chestertown, MD

Comment

...and are made for a single use. Not mashing every week/day for years.
                    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

mechanical vs chemical

Originally posted by ChesterBrew View Post
                      Or operate at 154F-ish on a constant basis.
                      Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
                      ...and are made for a single use. Not mashing every week/day for years.

I see your points, and completely agree. I must however point out that these are all risks of mechanical failure. This points to the obvious, that plastic as such a vessel is structurally weaker than chrome-steel and therefore seldom considered.

I wonder what the lifetime on plastic fermenters is compared to chrome-steel? Are they not chemically cleaned (hot), contain connections and fittings, experience thermal loading, are reused? Just curious. This lifetime difference would naturally be more extreme in the mash tun, since these factors themselves are perhaps more extreme.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfmase View Post
                        I wonder what the lifetime on plastic fermenters is compared to chrome-steel? Are they not chemically cleaned (hot), contain connections and fittings, experience thermal loading, are reused? Just curious. This lifetime difference would naturally be more extreme in the mash tun, since these factors themselves are perhaps more extreme.
                        A properly maintained and passivized stainless steel vessel will have decades of viability at the very least. I'd expect you'd get a year out of a plastic vessel. Which is why we bit the bullet and bought a SS 3bbl setup.
                        Kevin Shertz
                        Chester River Brewing Company
                        Chestertown, MD

Comment

Mash Tun

Get a Used milk tank. We paid $1000 and fit it with a pvc manifold in the bottom and a pvc manifold for sparging. We get 88% efficiency and it makes great beer. emptying it is kind of a pain but simple enough with a grain shovel. I can send you pics of our setup if your interested. We did invest in a flowmeter to get reliable strike volumes. Total investment less then $2000

Comment

Working...
                          X