Sizing mill and length of dough-in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sizing mill and length of dough-in

We are about at the point where we will need to purchase a mill for our new 10 bbl brewery. We are looking at the RMS line of mills. We want to mill and auger directly into the mash kettle. RMS offers a 1200 lb/hr and 3000 lb/hr. The smaller mill will take us about 30 minutes to dough in for most of our brews. Does anyone see anything wrong with a 30 minute dough in on a 10 bbl system?

Not particularly. Going to depend on your process though. Do you have mash rakes in there, or are you mixing by hand? Do you have a hydrator to help you? Probably most importantly, do you plan on just one person milling all those bags in while mixing the mash in by hand? If so, slower the better because you'll need to be milling, mixing, checking temp, repeat... Anything that's going to add effort means you should take some more time. You can always shorten the mash rest to compensate.

FWIW our 10bbl, with a hydrator but no rakes, and augured from a separate gristcase pre-milled the night before, operated by one person, mashes in in approx 18 minutes.
    Russell Everett
    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
    Bainbridge Island Brewing
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Bainbridge View Post
      Not particularly. Going to depend on your process though. Do you have mash rakes in there, or are you mixing by hand? Do you have a hydrator to help you? Probably most importantly, do you plan on just one person milling all those bags in while mixing the mash in by hand? If so, slower the better because you'll need to be milling, mixing, checking temp, repeat... Anything that's going to add effort means you should take some more time. You can always shorten the mash rest to compensate.

FWIW our 10bbl, with a hydrator but no rakes, and augured from a separate gristcase pre-milled the night before, operated by one person, mashes in in approx 18 minutes.
      Thank you. We are planning on just one person operating the brewhouse. We will have a hydrator and mixing blades in the mash kettle.

Comment

30 minutes seems a bit on the high end but probably not too bad. We have a similar setup, 10bbl with rakes and hydrator. I do everything myself, milling while doing the mash. Usually about 18-20 minutes for my average beers..30 for my higher abv.

Comment

We have a RMS mill with 9x6 rollers. For us to mill 1100-1300 lbs for a fifteen bbl batch takes us 20 minutes.

That is with 2 people. One dumping bags and the other adjusting water temperatures and mixing the mash by hand.

Rakes are not designed for mixing.

If you want one person to run everything, I would suggest a grist case between the mill and mash tun. We are working our way to that solution.

Comment

Working...
          X