Adding sucrose to the mash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding sucrose to the mash.

Does anyone have experience adding sucrose to the mash instead of the boil? I am wondering if the mash enzymes, heat and/or acidic environment are enough to break the sugar down into more fermentable brewing sugar.

This is a real question?

Comment

Consider researching "brewers crystals".

Here is a start

BSG has a variety of Sugars products, such as Brewers Crystals - 55 lb to help craft brewers create outstanding beers.

and

KegWorks.com is your source for high quality home bar equipment, draft beer dispenser equipment including kegerators, bar accessories, glass racks, bar rails, and much more.

Overview : Brewing good beer is dependent on having quality ingredients like Brewers Crystals in your home brewing supplies arsenal. These high maltose corn syrup solids are comprised of 56% maltose, 16% maltotriose, 8% dextrose, and 20% higher saccharides. Use Brewers Crystals to mimic barley malt extract in your fermentation and produce a higher alcohol content without jeopardizing the body and mouthfeel of your brew. For strong, delicious homebrew, get some maltose corn syrup of your own!

Features
      56% maltose, 16% maltotriose, 8% dextrose, and 20% higher saccharides
      Mimics barley malt extract in fermentation
      Produce a higher alcohol yield while retaining body and mouthfeel
      Todd G Hicks
      BeerDenizen Brewing Services

Comment

I have some experience in this.

I added sugar to the 3rd or 4th batch of beer I ever home brewed. The net result was...a loss of sugar. The sugar sticks to the malt in the tun and just makes sparging less efficient. I did this at the time because I had no idea what the hell I was doing.

Sucrose should always be added to the boil since it's highly fermentable and doesn't need any help from the enzymes present in the mashing process.

Here:

Sugars add strength to beer without bulking up the body. John Palmer conducts a survey of sweetness to help you choose when to use sugar and which sugar to use. From Belgian candi sugar to xylose, it's all here.

I googled it for you.

Comment

Kindof a ridiculous question, but it got me thinking.

So sucrose (table sugar) is just a disaccharide composed of glucose and a fructose, both of which are very easily fermented by yeast. Sucrose can be hydrolized into Invert Sugar in the presence of water, heat and acid. Typically it's done by boiling water and sugar on a stove, with some citric acid or cream of tartar. Which results in a syrup that won't recrystalize, and can be further caramelized. Useful indeed. Wonder if a similar reaction would occur in the mash? Probably a little, but the boil is a) hotter and b) more acidic so....why bother.
          Russell Everett
          Co-Founder / Head Brewer
          Bainbridge Island Brewing
          Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Originally posted by soia1138 View Post
            This is a real question?
            You are my hero.

Comment

Working...
            X