Grundy heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grundy heads

OK. I use to have a connection with a company in Pa, but the number has been disconnected. Now I have no known parts source. All I really need is the dish plate to broascast the cip solution. These are very old heads and need replacing but that's not going to happen. WHo has grundy head parts. Please help?

It may be most productive to stick a CIP spinner into the tank thru the old hole. It may be difficult to find a spinner that will fit in the hole, and a wine barrel spinner may be your best option. You need only buy one as you can move it from to tank to tank as necesary.
    Changing the tops to Tri-Clover may be most cost effective...

Comment

Sounds great

Thanks. How would you do this conversion? It is a small hole at top 1" dia and has a big hex nut to secure to the cip/pressure head. I assume welding is involved? About this wine spinner. What's that and where can I see oe? Thanks Moon.

JS

Comment

A good stainless welder with experience in sanitary (brewery/winery/dairy) welding should be able to convert your top port to a tri-clover fitting. There are many different manufacturers of sprayballs and rotating spray heads. I know GW Kent (www.gwkent.com) carries several sizes and styles of rotating heads.

Comment

Hello John,

We made a similar conversion to all the tanks at Bonfire. You will need a spiffy welder. I have the number of a guy in K-Zoo. I haven't used him, but he comes highly recommended. Do you have the newest GW Kent brewery catalog? They also have a few different spray heads in the winery catalog that are not listed in with the brewery stuff.

If you are just interested in a new disk, I'm sure the welder guy (Steve) could fabricate one for you. Perhaps for less than the conversion to tri-clamp + spray head.

Aloha,
          Ron
          Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

aluminum ring for grundies

Moonlight posted that an aluminum ring should be located inside the top clamp gasket, but when i pulled my first tank apart none existed. Should i have a stainless ring made to keep the gasget stiiff and in place? Also, i want to use stainless nuts to secure the stainless clamp down, do you think this can be done without stripping or screwing up the threads?
            Jen
            jtalley

Comment

Go for the conversion. I just had 7 Grundy's converted. I had
              my stainless welder friend weld a 2" triclover fitting to the Grundy
              head, just leave the big hex nut there, it won't get in the way.
              He then fabbed up a 2" Triclover riser with ferrules for a CO2
              input and a pressure guage, on the top is another 2" triclover for
              the pressure relief valve. I bought a small tank cleaner spinner
              and we fabbed a 2" triclover fitting to it. I got everything at GW Kent
              for a great price.

If you go with 1 1/2 solution the Pipe fits nicely into the grundy head
              but it will limit the size of the CIP spinner you can fit into the tank. I
              liked the 2" since I already had stock tube lying around to fab the risers
              out of.

I attached a couple photos of what we did.

Steve
              Last edited by Valleybrew; 07-16-2010, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Grumpy in grundiville

Thank you for your posting valleybrewer. i am going for the conversion. i am now trying to source a gasget for the top opening tanks. i had JVNW make me a down spout (awhile back) / RJT fitting tube that had a spinner spray head on it. i was using that for a bit, but it had a hard time spinning. i am going to try a old fashion spray ball like i have in my circa 1988 JVNW fermenters. i am going to rotate that from s-tank to s-tank. my welder is providing me with a 3' tri-clamp port.
                Jen
                jtalley

Comment

Working...
                X