Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this kind of keg exist? SS with an inliner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this kind of keg exist? SS with an inliner?

Hi all

We are setting up a brewpub in Sweden and I am finalizing my dispensing plans.

Once the beer is carbonated and ready to go we will have serving tanks (Duotanks) with an inliner inside the SS serving tank. We will use a compressor to push the beer out since the compressed air will never touch the beer.

Now besides the serving tanks I would like to have the option of putting some beer on kegs for increased flexibility. If I go with for example Keykegs I can use the same compressed air to push the beer out however I would have to purchase keykegs all the time and it would not be very economical and ecological friendly in the long run for a brewpub.
    If I go for SS kegs I obviously would have to use co2 or a blended gas to push out the beer to the bar area. (brewery area is in the basement). also I would have to clean and sanitize these kegs as normal adding equipment and working hours.

Now my question is have anyone ever come across stainless steel kegs with an inliner? Kind of a keykeg but instead of plastic casing a SS casing applying pressure to the bag with beer? Since I am using this method on a bigger scale with the Duotanks it would be interesting to see if this can be applied to on smaller serving containers such as kegs.

Cheers

Philip

Firstly, I have not seen or heard of anyone using stainless kegs with liners (apart from me when I homebrewed at college!).

Secondly, it seems you would have the worst of all worlds with replaceable lined stainless kegs, as you would have potentially higher transport costs due to the extra weight, and more to the point you would have to track them carefully, and pay for return transport, then have the safety issues of degassing them, cleaning the outside of the keg every time, and occasionally the inside, especially if a bag burst on removal.

I must admit, I thought you could replace the liners in keykegs, but you would probably also have to replace the cardboard box - and then you still have to retrieve the things.

I would be tempted to stick to keykegs for small runs, perhaps moving on to Petainers or similar as quantities grow, providing your customers have CO2 for dispense.
    dick

Comment

This is exactly what Heineken does. As far as I know it is proprietary for them. The thought process is that it is impossible for carbonation to change since you are using a bladder method. They are the only ones I know of that is doing this.

Comment

Common in Europe

This is common in Europe. I used to fill 45,000 liter tänker trucks with beer in Stockholm. They then drove out for delivery to accounts across town and filled up the bladder tanks from valves outside the building. They were either 500 or 1000 liter horizontal tanks.
        Have not seen anything like that here in the states nor in China. Its cheaper to use air to push beers and sanitation is easy with sterile bags. Don't think it's economical on smaller volumes and would be a pain in the ass to work with
        David Meadows
        Brew House Technologist
        TECHNOBREW
        (619)840-3311
        david@technobrew.com

Comment

I'm intrigued. I worked for Heineken until a few years ago, but never came across replaceable plastic bag lined kegs - cellar tanks yes (I used to do cellar tank operations in the UK a long time ago, and this was an option then), but if H are using plastic lined kegs, which country, and who makes them - which was the original question. Thanks.
          dick

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

Sorry maybe I should have been more clear the idea was to use stainless steel kegs with inliners for the brewpub operations only, in house.

we will use serving tanks with an inliner but for some smaller batches and seasonals kegs will be used.

Our brewpub is located on a mountain in a ski resort so transporting lots of co2 is not ideal, that is why it would have been interesting to dispense kegged beer with compressed air (and not having to use keykegs). Hence SS kegs with an inliner.

Comment

Working...
            X