Vinnie Nail question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinnie Nail question

Is there any reason why a stainless screw would not work in the same manner as the vinnie nail method? It's a lot easier to get stainless screws locally and rather than ordering a pound of nails from McMaster Carr I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions on this. Is there a reason why screwing a stainless steel screw into the head of the barrel would not work?

The only thing that comes to mind is the wood stripping and the screw no long holding the liquid. Over time with repeated use I'm almost positive this would happen. The reason being that the thread would chew up the wood after the first screw in.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
    Cheers,

Sean Goddard
    Brewmaster
    Whitewater Brewing Co. LTD

Comment

Pretty sure the Rare Barrel in Berkeley uses screws.

Comment

Originally posted by WWSean View Post
        The only thing that comes to mind is the wood stripping and the screw no long holding the liquid. Over time with repeated use I'm almost positive this would happen. The reason being that the thread would chew up the wood after the first screw in.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
        Makes sense. I went ahead and just dropped the $44 on nails. Should be enough to last me years and years.

Comment

I haven't read anything where they mention anything about sanitizing the drill bit, or doing anything to the wood. Do you guys literally just drill the bit in and then stick the nail in? Or should the drill bit get sanitized first? I also plan on at least getting any dust or grime off the outside of the barrel so it doesn't make its way in, and then just not worrying about any saw dust that might make it into the barrel. Perhaps I'm over analyzing but it seems like I would want to at least sanitize the drill bit...who knows what could be on it...

Comment

Originally posted by ziggy13 View Post
            I haven't read anything where they mention anything about sanitizing the drill bit, or doing anything to the wood. Do you guys literally just drill the bit in and then stick the nail in? Or should the drill bit get sanitized first? I also plan on at least getting any dust or grime off the outside of the barrel so it doesn't make its way in, and then just not worrying about any saw dust that might make it into the barrel. Perhaps I'm over analyzing but it seems like I would want to at least sanitize the drill bit...who knows what could be on it...
            We quickly pass the drill bit through a flame.

Comment

Isopropyl and flame

We use desalt drill bits and spray them and the barrel with isopropyl just before drilling. The bit gets a quick flame too.

I HIGHLY recommend drilling the barrel when it is full, NOT before you fill it. and DO use an inverted plastic cup to cover your drill because it WILL get messed up when you get beer in it.
              The reason why we drill post fill is because the wood continues to swell and sometimes the nail gets stuck.

Comment

Sorry to hijack, but this seemed an appropriate place to ask my question without starting another thread. When I pull a sample via the nail hole, I always have a stream of beer come out that I catch into a cup, but there's a bit that just runs down the head of the barrel. I always spray it down with some sani so there isn't any beer left to attract flies, but is there a reason that I have beer running down the barrel? Am I doing something wrong or does that happen for everyone?

Comment

We sanitize the nail and just hammer it in to the head. Pull it out, quickly spray, hammer back in. The second time we pull it out, it flows straight out, perfectly. Then collect, spray and hammer back in. Not sure why drilling first is needed. Cheers.
                  Nick Tanner
                  Head Brewer/Founder
                  Cherry Street Brewing Cooperative
                  Cumming, GA
                  www.cherrystreetbrewing.com

Comment

Working...
                  X