Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how big does cold storage need to be?

hello,

i am planning an expansion for my brewery. the current brewery has 2000 sq ft and we will sell 1700 bbls this year. the expansion will make the brewery 6000 sq. ft. and be able to produce about 6000 bbl. i want adequate cold storage, but i do not want it to take up more space than is necessary.

currently i have a 390 sq ft cooler that stores beer for my tasting room and for distribution. in the winter it can get a little tight, but in the summer it is damn near empty.

i am planning a 600 sq ft cooler for beer for distribution and a 160 sq ft cooler for my tasting room. does this seem adequate?

any input is greatly appreciated.

sam

Cold Storage

Sam
    We at AVBC have 1.5 weeks of cold storage for our peek season. This is the absolute minimum you should try to have. I would recommend two or maybe three weeks on the high side. Remember the longer its in your storage the less self life you will get.
    Graydon

Comment

graydon,

thank you for your input.

sam

Comment

We should be asking YOU these questions, since to me you're already doing a pretty amazing job of space management... 1700 barrels in 2000 sq ft!!!

S

Comment

sir brewsalot,

1700 bbl in 2000 sq ft can be done, but it blows. we have grain, kegs, cardboard, and glass wedged into every conceivable space and we are constantly moving one thing to get to another. very inefficient. during peak season we have to reduce cold aging time from 3 weeks to 10- 14 days and eliminate seasonal beers and lagers. i am looking forward to more space.

sam

Comment

I can see that it would definitely "take one air" - especially if you limit your production and mix as a result.

I can't offer much in the way of space estimates, but one thought I had was to see if one or more of your distributors would be willing to shoulder more of the load on storage of finished goods. I currently operate without a walk-in, so my master distributor carries all of my kegged stock - which for them is not so huge, since I am so small.

You may not have that luxury though.

Congrats on the expansion!
            Cheers,
            Scott

Comment

Working...
            X