Lenticular filter sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenticular filter sizing

I realize this is a loaded question but we are looking to move to filtering some of our brands and have been looking at lenticular filters, specifically with SDII modules down to 0.5 micron. No supplier wants to commit to sizing as I'm sure it's highly variable but I'd like to know what brewers are using and their experience. To start off, here are the parameters we are working with:

20BBL fermenters
    Yeast is WLP001
    Beer usually gets crashed to 3C (37.4F) for a few days before tx to BBT

Beer is relatively clear going in and we currently use finings to clear it up in the BBT.

I was assuming we'd need to go big on the filtration area and were thinking to use a 4 high 16" to make sure we didn't clog it on a run.

Can we go smaller? or is it impossible to filter down to 0.5 micron in a single pass? Recommendations?

Cheers,
    Steve

We just got a 4 x 16". We're running only three modules in it though, and k700 pads. We can get a 20bbl run of reasonably fined and clean beer through it in about half an hour. We're getting plenty brite beer, but we're not going down to 0.5. I suspect it might have more trouble with that. But they recommend a 16" at the minimum for beer. I ran the numbers on using a 3 high 12 and it was barely better than our old plate and pad filter.
    Russell Everett
    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
    Bainbridge Island Brewing
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

We also have 4X16" housing. We use K-700 modules and we run about one BBL a minute.

We get nice and clear beer.

I would not go smaller filter size. I used to run 2 modules for 15 BBL but last time we purchased 4 modules and it is well worth of time.

There is no way to make two passes on the same housing and I do not think going down to 0.5 micron is worth it. Now set of modules will last you about 1000 BBLs.

I love this filter and Ease of use. One downsize is that it requires fair amount of water when back flushing after use.

Comment

We currently run 4x16 k300's for primary filtration with a small 3 cartridge housing w/ profile star filters behind it at 1.5 micron. Our rep recommend 1.5 for yeast trap. I've ran it in the 2x16 configuration and wouldn't go back due to the amount of time it takes to backflush and restart. We can generally run about 15bbls per hour through it, at 45bbl it's pretty well clogged and needs flushed.

Comment

If anyone can lend a thought,

We are running 3x16" K700 modules and are struggling immensely with getting flow through the filter. The modules are brand new, we have only ran about 80bbl through them.

Details:

Well-flocculating English Ale yeast
          100mL/bbl BioFine
          Up to 10 days cold-conditioning for settling
          Moderately hopped
          10psi on FV & BBV with umbilical hosing between
          Impeller pump @ 24Hz

Issues:

I can get flow when filling the housing with beer at the initiation of the run, and seem to get excellent flow when executing the initial drain to the ground, but as soon as I direct into the BBV, the flow falls to an excruciating crawl. We are seeing 1bbl an hour. The beers are well-fined in the FV and we are attempting to gain that last bit of polish before bottling.

Previously, we were running Vertical Leaf - Perlite filtration pre-lenticular, but at our current through-put it was proving expensive to operate.

We considering a coarser-grade module, but we still need to be able to cut down the filter time to what we are seeing here on the board.

Comment

What differential pressure are you running?
            Russell Everett
            Co-Founder / Head Brewer
            Bainbridge Island Brewing
            Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Working...
            X