Anybody using Slot Drains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody using Slot Drains?

We are building a new production facility and looking at floor drain options. We are considering slot drains from http://www.slotdrainsystems.com/ does anybody have any experience with these drains? I am especially interested in feedback regarding their ability to drink yeast as at this point we dump yeast down our drains while adding 190 degree water.

Any help would be appreciated,

Max
    Lewis & Clark Brewing

I'm also interested in hearing if anyone would recommend another product other than slotdrainsystems.com. I've got a quote from them but am wanting to get a few more quotes before I lock one in.
    Max I've been working in a brewery with a slot drain and if you dump a lot of yeast it backs up a bit and you need or slow or stop draining whatever you're draining. This will happen even if you put the drain hose directly in the end catch basin with a screen and 4" outlet. So I think most drains will struggle to handle a large dump of yeast, even the non slot trench styles. For that reason and the city of Vancouver's fermentation bylaw, we now sidestream all yeast before the drain.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you for your interest. Here's some information on yeast disposal and Slot Drain® that might help.

Slot Drain® is made of stainless steel and it can handle extreme temperatures. Yeast can increase BOD and TSS and there are different regulations and bylaws.

Montana Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Permit Fact Sheet
      City of Vancouver Sewer and Water course By-law

Some ideas on yeast disposal:
      - Side stream (collecting high strength, concentrated wastes at the source and setting it aside for disposal) yeast
      - Pass the slurry through a filter press or centrifuge to recover residual beer that may be reuse in the process. The remains maybe disposed separately or sold as animal feed additives.
      - Use spent yeast as a byproduct, reuse it in the next fermentation batch or recycle it as animal feed or fertilizer

The reasons why Slot Drain® is suitable for breweries:
      - Corrosion resistant at high temperatures
      - Forklift and pallet jack friendly, NO GRATES to break or rust
      - Easy to clean and sanitize. Watch video

Click to see Slot Drain® installed in breweries

Resources:
      Probrewer Discussion: Yeast Disposal Dump down the Drain
      Best Practices – Yeast Disposal

You can contact us if you have any other questions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	brewery slot drain.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	191132
      Slot Drain® is a one-piece, built-in sloped, open floor drain/surface drain system

info@slotdrainsystems.com
      https://www.slotdrainsystems.com/breweries
      (855) 497-7508

Comment

Working...
      X