raspberry wheat beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raspberry wheat beer

Hi all, i am new to brewing a fruit beer so any advise is needed. ie~ when to add , frozen or puree , and pasteurization, many thanks

I have made lots of it and I will tell you what I do. I buy aseptic puree as much as possible. One of my favorite places is Oregon Fruit Company. I put all my fruit in my primary fermenter usually when I crash it down to 33 degrees. It picks up the flavor quickly and it will drop to the bottom in 36 hours. Then I rack it off to the brite tanks I have tried putting it in the brite but since I do not filter it collects on the bottom and I get too much fruit in the kegs or cans. Thats it pretty simple
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster

Comment

Originally posted by beerguy1 View Post
      I have made lots of it and I will tell you what I do. I buy aseptic puree as much as possible. One of my favorite places is Oregon Fruit Company. I put all my fruit in my primary fermenter usually when I crash it down to 33 degrees. It picks up the flavor quickly and it will drop to the bottom in 36 hours. Then I rack it off to the brite tanks I have tried putting it in the brite but since I do not filter it collects on the bottom and I get too much fruit in the kegs or cans. Thats it pretty simple
      Any concerns with fermentation of the fruit?

Comment

Hey Mike , thanks for the reply , thats great info.

Comment

Originally posted by AT-JeffT View Post
          Any concerns with fermentation of the fruit?
          I have never had that happen once the temps drop. I just put 88# in yesterday and my pressure and plato was unchanged this morning
          Mike Eme
          Brewmaster

Comment

And what amount of fruit is used typicaly per brew to extract flavor, i know raspberry has the higher scale of flavor
            thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Hibiscus View Post
              And what amount of fruit is used typicaly per brew to extract flavor, i know raspberry has the higher scale of flavor
              thanks
              That will all depend on where you get the fruit from and the amount of flavor that you are looking for. Perhaps the company has some history of working with breweries and can offer you some dosing instructions. Thats where I would start,have them send you a sample of at least a quart then add it to some beer. We use Coor light here (yuck) as it is the beer with the least amount of flavor but you can take some accurate weights of the fruit you are going to add. Sadly, its often a crap shoot but if you go one way go on the lighter side so it doesnt taste like fruit juice JMHO
              Mike Eme
              Brewmaster

Comment

Thanks for the info, what quantities give you the best flavour, just trying to see if this will be feasible and work on our system
                Thank you in advance
                Colm

Comment

That will all depend on where you get the fruit from and the amount of flavor that you are looking for. Perhaps the company has some history of working with breweries and can offer you some dosing instructions. Thats where I would start,have them send you a sample of at least a quart then add it to some beer. We use Coor light here (yuck) as it is the beer with the least amount of flavor but you can take some accurate weights of the fruit you are going to add. Sadly, its often a crap shoot but if you go one way go on the lighter side so it doesnt taste like fruit juice JMHO
                  Thanks( Coors lite ) we use it for sensory off flavor analysis , its good for something at least

Comment

I have never had that happen once the temps drop. I just put 88# in yesterday and my pressure and plato was unchanged this morning
                    and what happens when you go to bottle the temps warm up and residual yeast wakes up starts to work on the sugars left by the puree ? surly potential for bottle bombs

Comment

I just kegged off my Raspberry Wheat yesterday. I used 88 pounds of puree from Oregon Fruit added about a day prior to reaching terminal on a 7bbl tank. It's quite fruity but not sweet. I let the FV ride at temp for another 2 days to give the yeast time to work on the added sugars, and just to let it reach 2.5. Spund the tank and crash to 33.

I've never added fruit to already crashed beer or crashed beer right after adding specifically because I'd be concerned about interrupting fermentation and creating off flavors. The residual, unfermented sugar could also end up fermenting in the package.

Comment

We add puree to crashed beer. For that reason, we only offer our Raspberry wheat in kegs, so as to avoid refermentation in the bottles. We are about to run a batch through our centrifuge to see if that will remove enough yeast to safely bottle. I'll post details when I know more.
                        Mike Elliott
                        Head Brewer
                        Philipsburg Brewing Co.
                        Montana

Comment

Originally posted by populuxe View Post
                          I just kegged off my Raspberry Wheat yesterday. I used 88 pounds of puree from Oregon Fruit added about a day prior to reaching terminal on a 7bbl tank. It's quite fruity but not sweet. I let the FV ride at temp for another 2 days to give the yeast time to work on the added sugars, and just to let it reach 2.5. Spund the tank and crash to 33.

I've never added fruit to already crashed beer or crashed beer right after adding specifically because I'd be concerned about interrupting fermentation and creating off flavors. The residual, unfermented sugar could also end up fermenting in the package.
                          @populuxe thanks for the info, what do you mean by~ and just to let it reach 2.5. ?

Comment

2.5p - 1.010sg, which is where expected it to be if the added sugars fermented out.

Comment

Originally posted by populuxe View Post
                              2.5p - 1.010sg, which is where expected it to be if the added sugars fermented out.
                              Ok thanks , is there a chart with the different sugar levels of fruit to reference

Comment

Working...
                              X