No Sparge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Sparge

I was looking into 15 bbl brewhouse, but without a hop contract i wouldnt always be making my hoppy beers. So i know a 15 bbl Mash Tun would be too small for 7 bbl batches. I was thinking of getting away with a No Sparge 7bbl batch. Has anyone done a no sparge batch before? also, fermenting 7 bbl in a 15 bbl unitank.

Fermenting 7bbl in a 15bbl tank is fine, many brewers will commonly buy fermenters that are 2-4x's the size of their brew house and partially fill them.

I would have to see your mash tun to make a call on whether a half mash would work in it. I would think that as long as the mash is sufficiently covered with water/wet and maintains temp you would be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by inda_bebe View Post
      I was looking into 15 bbl brewhouse, but without a hop contract i wouldnt always be making my hoppy beers. So i know a 15 bbl Mash Tun would be too small for 7 bbl batches. I was thinking of getting away with a No Sparge 7bbl batch. Has anyone done a no sparge batch before? also, fermenting 7 bbl in a 15 bbl unitank.
      Well a no sparge 7bbl final out put, post boil would be more than 7bbl liquid in the mash and you would have the volume of the grain on top of that as well. So do your calculations specific to your system and recipe and you will then be in a more accurate position to ask your question.

You could even add a barrel to your output to cover trub and transfer losses and end up with a nice 7.x bbl final post fermentation output.

For the fermentor at half, purge out the O2, fill it and your good to go. Just have to make sure your temp probe is in a good place for a 7bbl batch. Some may not be.

Comment

Thanks, if the mashtun is too small to hold the full volume of water, I can always sparge the remaining to get preboil volume.

I was looking into the SS brew tech flex system. It allows you to brew half batches with no problems

Comment

Working...
        X