Using A Carbonation Stone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using A Carbonation Stone

Hey everyone I have a question on carbonation using a carb stone... So for our smaller brews we will be fermenting in our conicals and than transferring into 2 x 1/2 barrel Sabco Brites. Each has a carbonation wand so that we can carb and bottle out of them. We will crash them down to 36 degrees and want to achieve 2.5 volumes of CO2. So here is the question... I know we hook the wand into our co2 regulator but what should I set the psi for and for how long?
    Same question as well for our 2 larger 3.5 bbl tanks with 6" carb stones... We had always done forced carbonation in the kegs but now with the increased demand and product we had to switch over to something faster and easier.

Luke Sevigney
    Theory Brewing Company
    Wells, Maine 04090

There are a lot of threads on this already and you can find them by doing an advanced search using the keyword "carbonation" and then restrict the search to "titles only" to narrow the results down to the more relevant posts.

Here's a recent one that I found to be really useful and informative:

Cheers,
    --
    Don

Comment

Carbonation

We use 4 BBL Uni Tanks and a 6 inch stone in the side port with and extension tube to connect to the gate valve. 18psi for 24 - 36 hours usually gets us the correct volume. We also test for carb with meter to check for correct. But 36 hours is the average.

Comment

Carb stone

We carb in a 7bbl brite tank with a 6 inch stone. We carb in roughly 4 hours. We start with almost no psi and bump it every 20 mins until we hit our target carbonation.

Comment

We mainly use 12" stones in our 60bbl - 120bbl brites. Setting the regulator at 35psi into the tank. But then, cracking a ball valve off the blowoff, off gassing to keep the head pressure in the tank at 20psi. This technique reliably carbs within 1 - 1.5 hours @ 2.5 vols.

Now some may say that this technique blows off a lot of aroma quality. But at the rate we dryhop we do not see negative effect to the taste or aroma.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X