Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lambics, are they really so much trouble?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lambics, are they really so much trouble?

Hey all...

Been kicking the idea around of trying my hand at a lambic, but all the sources I read tell me that the critters that come along with even Wyeast's lambic blend are a REAL pain to get rid of once you introduce them to the fermenters...let alone bottling/kegging equipment, etc...

We've got 2 15 bbl fermenters we're not using right now, and before I take my thoughts to the boss, I wanted to do a little more homework on the subject. He's worried enough about wiesen yeast as it is, so I was hoping to get some thoughts from anyone who has tried them before on a micro or brewpub scale before I approach him with the idea.

Thanks!
    www.devilcraft.jp
    www.japanbeertimes.com

Fret not

The weizen yeast worries are from big older breweries. in a pub situation you should be able to control your space (aside from the obvious problems....kitchen etc.) We do lambics as a company all of the time. here's some advice: after you ferment, throw away everything on the tank that isn't stainless (manway gasket, butterfly valve gaskets, etc.) rack your lambic into kegs instead of using a bbt...although you could if you can get them hot enough when sanitizing. use only one draft line at a time....and skip fobs etc in the system. Use heat to kill on all of the stainless you used. Try and use the same kegs for lambic over and over....esp if you use straight sides.

do treat the liquid like nuculear waste. the bugs are all beer spoilers!

cheers
    Larry Horwitz

Comment

Contact John at Grand Rapids Brewing Co. 616-285-5970. He has quite a few Lambics going at any one time. I'm sure he could help you out.

Scott
      Scott Isham
      Harper's Brewpub

Comment

Lambic in brewpubs

Wow! That sounds wonderful and very interesting. I visited Cantillion one time with some German brewers. They loved the brewery tour but when it came to tasting, all but two of us drank more than one sip; the rest of the group waited in the car for us to finish. Even for brewers, it is an acquired taste beyond lagers and ales; therefore I was wondering what your average Joe brewpub visitor thinks of lambics (assuming he already likes brewpub ales and lagers but is unaware of New Belgium, Ommegang, etc.)? Are yours as sour as Cantillion or milder and with a hint of horse-blanket, as well? How long do you ferment and age? Are they normally served as fruit lambics or as gueuze (maybe blended with another lambic or brown ale)?

Santé !

Comment

Thanks!

Good advice so far...keep it coming!

We're not a brewpub (that's my own project, I'm working for a micro now) so any different advice you'd give for a 2500ish barrel a year facility?

I can't see my boss going for tossing gaskets for sure...he runs a pretty tight ship...any alternatives there? A nice bath in some solution for a few days perhaps?
          www.devilcraft.jp
          www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

Gaskets

Gaskets are cheap compared to a spoiled batch....you could just save a set for lambic only and reuse 'em!
            Larry Horwitz

Comment

batemans yeast

brewing with a specific strain of wild yeast is nothing that live steam can not take care of. if you can find batemans yeast and boil your wheat for 30 minnits great . hands down the best witt i have had . good luck cheers don@brewerymaster.com

Comment

The yeast that ferments lambic (one of the many microbes that are involved in the process) hides in the wooden barrels they use for fermentation, even though the barrels are steam cleaned beforehand. Granted - wood is very porous and provides lots of places for yeast to hide.

Comment

While we are on the subject, should Saisons be handled with the same level of caution? I've heard that particular strain contains Brettanomyces, and various wild yeasts. I just brewed a pilot batch (2Bbl) to try, and I would hate to take up space in my cold room. I was hoping to keg it. Bad idea?

Comment

Saisons strains

It depends upon where you got your yeast. I don't know what Wyeast or White labs sells as Saisons yeast. All of the Saisons breweries I've heard about ferment at very high temperatures. Saisons is such a varied style (called a "beer family" by some), that it's difficult to say what yeast belongs in Saisons. Traditionally, by accident, their beers were matured with a mixed strain of brewers' yeast, wild yeasts and other microbes. Nowadays, even though they ferment at high temperatures, their yeast don't seem to produce any unwanted funkiness, but rather lots of fruitiness. Of course, fermenting at higher temperatures, it's easier for unwanted microbes to enter the log phase of growth and take hold . I think, even if you think there's an infection, that kegging would be best. If you do need to replace the gaskets, they're cheaper for kegs, anyway, right?
                    Last edited by crassbrauer; 08-18-2006, 07:10 AM. Reason: can't spell

Comment

no commercialy available saison strain from a reputable supplier will contain bacteria (unless they say it does)...it behaves a bit like wild yeast but it has all been cultured from a single colony / cell. No worries about bugs...use your bright tank
                      Larry Horwitz

Comment

Working...
                      X