Whirlpool setup for electric 3bbl kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool setup for electric 3bbl kettle

We have a 3bbl kettle with a center bottom outlet, a bottom side outlet, and a tangential outlet for whirlpooling. Can anyone tell me before I clog again if I should pull from the center to start whirlpool? I'm thinking it would pull a vortex, but also would pull all the trub. (Maybe that's not a problem, since it will eventually settle once pump is off?) I've tried the side, but it doesn't get going very well at all and I clog right at the start of pumping to chiller. I've tried adding a tube type filter before chiller, but it clogs right away and slows chilling down to a crawl. Also, any suggestions on how to avoid the large air bubble that pops up when first opening outlet to drain? Thanks

I went through that same exact thing and boy did it piss me off. Here's my setup now.
    Pull from side to sight glass to pump. From pump add a tee with two valves. From the straight side of the tee to hx and from the side to your whirlpool port. Run whirlpool as normal and let it rest. I then remove the hose from the whirlpool port (leaving it attached to the tee. This allows you to open the valve on the tee to drain until the wort in the sight glass is running clear.
    It's been the biggest hurdle I've overcome on this system. If you have any other questions on this or on this electric system just ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 3 counter flow chillzillas hooked up in a series to chill our 3 bbl system. No whirlpool necessary, hops and trub pump right through and never clog. No headaches. Save time with whirlpool but we usually have to recirculate until the kettle is 150 degrees to chill to fermenter. Allows time for a nice lower temp hop stand though. It really works great for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Crosley View Post
        I went through that same exact thing and boy did it piss me off. Here's my setup now.
        Pull from side to sight glass to pump. From pump add a tee with two valves. From the straight side of the tee to hx and from the side to your whirlpool port. Run whirlpool as normal and let it rest. I then remove the hose from the whirlpool port (leaving it attached to the tee. This allows you to open the valve on the tee to drain until the wort in the sight glass is running clear.
        It's been the biggest hurdle I've overcome on this system. If you have any other questions on this or on this electric system just ask.

Thanks for the info. Makes good sense to use valves like that. I have tried the t on the pump, but had only 1 valve on the discharge side. did not think of one on the wp inlet side, but will try it. I have not had good luck pulling whirlpool from edge port though. Have you ever pulled from center bottom?

Comment

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
          I have 3 counter flow chillzillas hooked up in a series to chill our 3 bbl system. No whirlpool necessary, hops and trub pump right through and never clog. No headaches. Save time with whirlpool but we usually have to recirculate until the kettle is 150 degrees to chill to fermenter. Allows time for a nice lower temp hop stand though. It really works great for us.
          Thanks for reply Junkyard, but fully committed (due to expense) 2 stage chiller and trying to keep it clear.

Comment

Originally posted by Yanknonion View Post
            Thanks for the info. Makes good sense to use valves like that. I have tried the t on the pump, but had only 1 valve on the discharge side. did not think of one on the wp inlet side, but will try it. I have not had good luck pulling whirlpool from edge port though. Have you ever pulled from center bottom?
            I haven't tried from the center. You need to WP and collect from the same port, otherwise you have to deal with switching hoses and the air bubble that will stir up the debris that has settled. Why haven't you had luck pulling from the side?

Comment

Originally posted by Crosley View Post
              I haven't tried from the center. You need to WP and collect from the same port, otherwise you have to deal with switching hoses and the air bubble that will stir up the debris that has settled. Why haven't you had luck pulling from the side?

Not really sure, just haven't been getting a good turn. Maybe I need to rotate elements or something.

Comment

Working...
              X