Oxygenating after pitch???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxygenating after pitch???

So we just finished brewing and and are waiting to hit out pitch temp, during the middle of summer we have to use the fermenter to bring temp down. We just realized that we ran out of Oxygen, should we
    A: wait til morning get new O2 and pitch then or
    B: pitch tonight then O2 in the morning.
    It will be around 8pm when we can pitch as we wait for temp to go down, and can get new o2 by say 6am as soon as store opens.
    Also as a note we use dry yeast.

Thanks for any feedback.

Pitch when you hit temperature. You don't need to worry so much about O2 with dry yeast; in fact, most dry yeast info I've read suggests it's totally unnecessary. Check the website of the yeast mfg. you're using and I'll bet it says it's OK.

Cheers,
    --
    Don

Comment

What would be the difference in why you don't need O2 with dry yeast vs liquid yeast? I've never heard you didn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

O2 helps with sterol synthesis that is required for cell membrane development, which is especially important during the budding phase of reproduction. "Dry yeast has so many more cells than liquid yeast that the need for growth is minimal to none. So, there's no need for O2. Plus in addition to the high count, the dry yeast are produced with much higher sterols." Quotes from someone else, but you get the idea. Dry yeast have a LOT more sterols available as part of the process used to produce it. Don't worry. Pitch the right amount of dry yeast and you'll be fine.

Cheers,
        --
        Don

Comment

Working...
        X