Whirlpool Procedures and Temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool Procedures and Temperature

So I have always used a hopback and not done a whirlpool but trying to do something new. I have a ton of confusion on this though... Here is what I did last night.
    1) At the end of my 60 minute boil I turned off the heating element and using my mash paddle begin to stir the wort to create a vortex for 30 seconds.
    2) I waited for the temperature to reach about 170F and than threw in my "whirlpool" hops for 30 minutes, stirring the kettle every once in a while.
    3) After 30 minutes I pumped it out through my wort strainer and plate chiller into the fermenter, pitched the yeast at 68F.

Am i doing this correctly? Should I throw in the hops right after the end of the boil? Is this affecting my 5 and 10 minute hop additions in terms of IBU's as they are in the water longer at temps just below boiling?

Add the hops at flameout as majority of utilization will occur above 180F. Not sure how much you got by adding at <170F. See how it turns out and try it again with the flameout addition for the whirlpool addition. You will get some IBUs from the flameout addition.
    Keith
    Co-Owner/Head Brewer
    Brevard Ale Works

Comment

Whirlpool

I typically add hops at flameout (before the whirlpool). As mentioned you will get better AA utilization at boiling temperatures if your goal is to get more bitterness. However for my IPA's I do drop the temperature below 180 to reduce AA utilization and preserve all of the other delicate aromatic oils that would volatilize quickly above 180. I think your process is spot on for using a whirlpool for flavor and aroma.

Cheers!

Comment

Whirlpool Procedures and Temperature

I like to add flame out hops at flame out, then wait 5 minutes to start whirling. We use pumps to spin the whirlpool at full capacity for 15 minutes, then shut the pump off and let it "drift" until there is no more current. That "drift" is where the hops really settle into the cone. The action of spinning the whirlpool is just to increase length/ efficiency on the drift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by CoilTheDamnHose; 08-06-2016, 08:06 AM.

Comment

I wonder how efficient of a vortex you're getting by hand stirring. Whirlpool is typically done using a pump as mentioned above, but that's not to say it can't be done by hand. After a good whirlpool, you should see a pile of hop and malt matter at the bottom of the kettle. Did you see that? If you see enough separation of material, then I guess it worked. If not, then you may need to step it up. How big of a batch are you working with? If it's several barrels, then you may need a pump with a tangential input port on the side of the kettle. If it's small batch, like less than two barrels. You might want to try using this tool I saw. I forget the name, so you'll have to do some googling. Essentially it's just an agitator attachment for a hand drill. You insert it in the top of the wort, power the drill for a few minutes, and it just helps stir it a lot more than you probably can by hand.

Comment

We whirlpool 7 bbls.....

with our mash paddle and have no issues with forming a trub cone in the middle of the kettle. our procedure is pretty standard. Kill the burner, throw in the hops give the kettle 5 - 10 good stirs, and walk away to set up for cooling and begin clean up.
            Bill Walden
            Oddball Brewing Co.
            Suncook, NH

Comment

Working...
            X