Smoked Malt choices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked Malt choices

I'm looking to brew a Smoked Porter - actually, a commercial scale-up of a homebrew batch I did several years ago using Weyermann's Smoked Malt.

This time, I have a choice of Weyermann's Smoked Malt or Peated from Fawcett. Has anyone used either of these before, and can you provide any info on what one might be like versus the other? Specifically, comments on percentage used for each, intensity/smoke character (or as I've heard it said, "tar" vs. "campfire")... all would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Scott
    Last edited by Sir Brewsalot; 08-15-2006, 07:25 AM.

Smoke your own?

Ever consider smoking your own pale malt? Or perhaps you've got a BBQ guru in the 'hood who would be happy to smoke 'em for ya in exchange for a few bottles? You'd have to smoke-up a few test batches (type of wood, contact time, what quantity works to achieve your desired beer, etc.) but then you'd have control over the "power of smoke." We went this route with a smoked porter and the results were a sublime delight - great balance, subtle smokiness and easy to drink. Or, if that's too much work, I do like the Weyermann Rauch Malt. Just another opinion...

Comment

IMHO I wouldn't use peat smoke malt for anything, even Scottish/Scotch ales. The smokiness is much more medicinal/bandaid-like than the woody quality you get from bamberg (beach or birch I think) smoked malt.

Also, your percentage of peat smoked malt is MUCH lower for a similar flavor threshold than german smoke malts.

JackK

Comment

While there are undoubtedly lots of BBQ gurus in this here 'hood, dialing in something like this (either personally or with help from said bbq guru) is a bit more than I'm willing to get into for this one - especially if I'd like it to be close to repeatable.

I'm thinking the Weyermann Peat Smoked was what I did the pilot batch with, but I'd have to check my notes...and that would mean getting up... and driving across town. Definitely had some acrid qualities that required some balance by the rest of the beer - That, and keeping the % low as you say Jack... any guesses on what percent you've used/seen used?

Thanks!
        Scott

Comment

Buy the different smoked malts from a homebrew shop and smell them, then chew them, then soak them in some beer and taste them. Peat is very disinctive and you will probably either love it or hate it. If you do use peated, go small as a previous poster stated less is more with peated. Rauch is probably a better choice. I dont believe I have ever tasted a comercial example with peat, although I am sure they are out there. Alaskan Smoked Porter which is without question the benchmark for all smoked beers (simply count the medals and taste the beer) is brewed with alder smoked malt. Stone Smokred porter is also very good and although i dont know what they use it isnt Peat IMHO. On the other hand I brewed a Scotch ale on my homebrew system , 1/4 lb for 10 gallons with peated malt that I truly enjoyed. if you want more mass appeal use something other than peat. Just my 2 cents!
          Big Willey
          "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

If you change your mind about smoking your own malt give me a holler. I've been producing a hand-smoked porter on and off for a couple of years. It's not as hard to do as you might think, and I infinitely prefer the quality of malt smoked over fruit woods to the harsh quality I usually taste from commercially smoked malt.
            Hutch Kugeman
            Head Brewer
            Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
            Hyde Park, NY

Comment

This just in...

Just learned from my malt supplier that Weyermann apparently does not make a peat-smoked malt. Theirs is beechwood smoked (not to be confused with "beechwood aged" I suppose...). I plan to use it at 5-10% of the grain bill, depending upon how it tastes, and any other feedback anyone here cares to offer.

Regarding the home-smoked malt prospects, I'll keep you in mind. I suppose I'd need to get a smoker as a first step.

Thanks everyone!
              Scott

Comment

smoking your own malt

Alton Brown, Food Network. The cardboard box smoker.... If you haven't seen it check it out on his section of the food network.

If you have, Imagine a refrigerator box, a bun pan rack, and 20 bun pans filed with pale malt, the electric smoker, and in 30 minutes you could smoke a good 100 pounds of malt easy.
                Mark Duchow
                Brew Master
                Short Fuse Brewing Co.
                Chicagoland
                "The best beer is FREE beer"

Comment

Although I like the Bamberger smoked beers (beechwood-smoked), I once had a mesquite-smoked beer. It was fantabulous. I must admit, I'm prejudiced because I grew up eating mesquite-smoked BBQ. Also, I've read that the smoked porter from The Alaskan Brewing Co. is smoked with alder wood. Apparently, it's one type of wood used to smoke salmon in Alaska. Therefore, if you're planning on a smoked beer from homemade smoked malt, perhaps a regional variety of wood already used for BBQing or smoking food might be interesting. Just a thought.
                  Last edited by crassbrauer; 08-15-2006, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Simpsons Peated

I use Simpsons Peated Malt in my Scotch Ale. It's a great UK malt, but a little does a lot... It took a long time to find the balance.

Comment

I currently brew with weyermann malt from bamberg in a wheat bock, 25-30 % is my percentage, the taste is delicate but you can easily detect and name it, so it slightly stays in the front of all taste impression

hope this helps
                      Christoph

"How much beer is in German intelligence !" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Home-smoking is the way to go. I made test batch of a smoked beer using rye smoked with apple wood and alder, it was fantastic. One day when we have the fortitude I want to make it on our 10 bbl system. I think that the same people who love barbeque would love a smoked ale, but I haven't had the courage yet to make a big batch.
                        Linus Hall
                        Yazoo Brewing
                        Nashville, TN
                        www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Originally posted by BigWilley
                          Alaskan Smoked Porter which is without question the benchmark for all smoked beers
                          Um..., I would certainly question that.

---Guy

Comment

Alaskan Smoked Porter: Most medals of any single beer at the GABF and multiple medal winner at the WBC. What smoked beer (that's actually available) is a better benchmark for the quality and balance of the smoke flavor?
                            Big Willey
                            "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Personally, I'd use the original as my standard: Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Maerzen from Bamberg, Germany.

---Guy

Comment

Working...
                              X