Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Permitting problems for conveted dairy tank

I'm putting together a small (7bbl) micro-brewery and purchased a used
    gas-fired system made from converted dairy tanks. The county wants documentation on requirements for venting, capacity, BTU output,
    clearances, etc. before they will issue a permit for gas hook-up. Since it's converted equipment, I don't have a manufacturer to fall back on for documentation. The local gas companies are no help. One gas company had a
    "Master Certifier" on staff and he didn't have a clue what to do.
    I've tried contacting a few mechanical engineering firms in town to see if someone could come out and inspect and certify the equipment with no luck.

Has anyone else delt with this problem or have any suggestions?
    Part of the problem may be that I'm located in Florida and gas is still viewed as "dangerous and exotic".

Bob
    Last edited by Capt. Bob; 08-15-2006, 07:40 PM.

Check with the manufacturer of the burner. I would hope the could help quite a bit. I once used a letter from another eqpt. mfr. (which I wrote for them) that said they did not build it but if they had, it would require this and such.

Comment

I think Moonlight's suggestion is the way to go. The burner manufacturer should have all the necessary info for venting, clearance, gas supply, etc. Your other local option would be to contact a heating contractor - they use all kinds of similar burners in furnaces, boilers, and heating systems. The worst case scenario might be to replace the burner on your kettle with a new one that you have documentation on. Hope that helps!

Comment

Thanks,
        I'm going to try the new burner route. The currant one is a little rusted and
        a replacement runs in the $100 range. A lot cheaper that I would have guessed.

Bob
        Saint Somewhere Brewing
        Tarpon Springs FL

Comment

Working...
        X