HLT's and temp probes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HLT's and temp probes

I am installing a new HLT. We have been using hot water on demand since we opened. We purchased a used 30 BBL HLT and the temp sensor runs through the direct heat jacket. The existing probe was a bit shitty looking so I am looking at replacing it with an RTD since that is what I use on all of my other equipment. My first question is should I order a regular RTD with a solid stainless probe that runs the length of the thermowell or do I need one that has wires that run down to the tip with a stainless probe only on the tip.

My thinking is if I run a full length probe it will pick up heat from the jacket. If I am being overly cautious about this please let me know. Also It is a 10 inch thermowell and I am only seeing 12 and 7 inch probes?

Josh

You can get custom-length RTD probes. Many of our vessel need them.

I think I try to keep the length of the probe short, so it is inside of the heating jacket, use a good heat-transfer paste in the bottom of the well, then stuff some high-temp insulation down the well to retain the probe and keep as much of the jacket heat away from the sensor as possible. Be sure to spec high-temp silicone (or whatever) leads.

OTOH, I think RTD probe and controller are overkill for an HLT. We use Johnson A419 controllers in our HL system, and they work fine--at a fraction of the price.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

I actually got the one that came with it working! so I am all good to go. I know the setup I run is overkill but I would prefer to have the same controller throughout for ease of use. Plus I have never had much issue with these guys. (knocks on wood)

Thanks for the info!

Josh

Comment

Working...
      X