Opinions on this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions on this?

My family is opening a small brewpub next year. Its been decided that Im the one who needs to learn the ropes for the brewery. We have all the issues worked out, well everything except where Im going to go to learn how to run this small brewery. I've been an avid homebrewer since 1998, and for the past year Ive kicked it into full gear, trying to gain as much experience as possible, and most of the time brewing twice a week. And with as much as Im learning and know from homebrewing, I know it's not enough.

Now being that I really would rather not leave the wife and kids for 6 months to a year for school, heres my question. I have an inside connection from family who know the head brewers at a succesful brewery here in state. They are pretty sure I would be able to volunteer full time for 3 months this fall. Would spending 10+ hours a day, every day for three months learning the ins and outs be enough? Or do you think I am just going to have to break down and go to school?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if three months is enough time to learn quite enough. I was an avid homebrewer who lucked into a full-time assistant brewer gig, and after six months I barely had a clue (although at the time I thought I was a baddass mofo! ). Heck, after almost four years of professional brewing I got my first head brewer job and discovered just how large the gaps in my knowlege were....

But by all means do it anyway, and then maybe put the brewmaster there on retainer as a consultant, so you have some backup!

As for school, it's quite possible to do that without leaving the family behind! Look into correspondence courses, and then of course there's the local university and perfectly useful chemistry and microbiology classes!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Thats kind of what I thought. Now on the subject of school, I just ran across this posted in another thread.

The Siebel Institute of Technology is a vocational school in Chicago, focusing on brewing education and brewing services since 1868.

Online school, ok sounds too good to be true. Im thinking this couldn't do anything but benefit me. But at the same time, how much can you learn online without having the hands on? Maybe the online course and volunteering can get me closer to knowing enough to reach my goals.

Thoughts?

Comment

Abg

American Brewers guild has an online course that is followed by a month long internship. I know of a couple of guys who took it and said it was a worthwile experience.

el

Comment

Thanks, Ill look into it

Comment

Why do people go to college for 4 years? Go to UC Davis for 6 months and learn the basics of making beer. You will not regret the time nor the expense, if you are serious about being a brewer.

Josef

Comment

Do IT!

Hiya' DesertBrew,
              I took the American Brewer's Guild Online course (GREAT!!! Worth twice the money!), and Seibel's courses (well worth it!). You have an "IN" at an operating brewery. TAKE IT!!! It'll show you some "everyday" things in the brewhouse and cellar that most courses never cover. Also, you'll have "one-on-one" time with the brewer who might be willing to share his secrets and his bag-o-tricks.

I took a two-year commercial and residential remodel sebatical from brewing and learned several very important lessons like; yes, you CAN shoot a nail through your hand. But, the most important one is: "A good carpenter (brewer) isn't one who never makes mistakes, but one who knows how to fix those mistakes!" I believe you only learn that from either experience or someone with experience.

Take the opportunity to work in an operating brewery. You won't regret it. While your there, network! These are the people you'll call when your mash is stuck or you need glycol or the taps won't stop foaming! BECOME A SPONGE AND SOAK IN EVERY EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY YOU CAN!

Just my three cents......
              Dave
              Glacier Brewing

p.s. feel free to contact me if you have any questions
              info@glacierbrewing.com
              luck to ya'!
              Last edited by GlacierBrewing; 08-28-2006, 09:58 PM. Reason: typo
              Glacier Brewing Company
              406-883-2595
              info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Wow, decisions, decisions.....

UC, Davis is on my list of options. Im am however doing alot of research into the Brewer's Guild Internet based course. I think the online course combined with doing a couple month gig at a brewery may be sufficient enough to be able to start up a small brewpub.....I hope

And like Glacier said, a good brewer is one who can fix mistakes. And I know that will come with time and experience. But if one is opening a small, like say 10bbl pub, how much hands on do you need? I know more will always be better in this case, but would the internet class and the volunteer time be enough in you guys' opinion?
                Last edited by DesertBrew; 08-28-2006, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Brew Pub Start up

All of the schools are great and you will be able to start up a brewery with just a few months of school, but it will help if you have a technical degree and study 4 to 6 hours a night while at school. This is what I did and had no problems starting up a 50 barrel production brewery. You better be serious and work your --- off. It will also be a great help (very important) to have an experienced brewer around to help with the start up. If you put an add out I'm sure you can find some one in your area that will help for a reasonable sum of money. I went to Siebel.

Graydon

Comment

Hey Desertbrew, what is your location?
                    my brewery is in the high desert of california, between Los Angeles and Las Vegas, Nevada. South of Reno.
                    If you are close you can come by any time and get some hands on experience.
                    Good Luck

Comment

I say do both!

Hey there, same boat as you...opening a brewpub next year....

I started getting serious about brewing education about 18 months ago, reading everything I could get my hands on in order to prepare for the next step...

After about 6 months of reading up to not look like a total newbie, some serious homebrewing, etc...I took the plunge and starting hitting up brewpubs and micros, making friends with brewers, and visiting and examining brewing facilities in the US, UK, Ireland, and Japan.

6 months ago, I took a course at Siebel, and immediately discovered that while my studies had built a firm foundation, I needed more concrete the for big building I wanted to make. I'll be returning to more classes at Siebel this fall...

Finally, 2 months ago I started working for a micro to start getting firsthand experience. This has by far been the best insight into my future as a brewpub owner, and if you get the chance, I say go for it.

I always shy away from online courses, I sort of figure that if you're sitting in a classroom, you're going to soak up more through osmosis than just sitting at your computer. Also, you get to engage the other students in conversation...something I found to be very insightful at my course at Siebel.

Just my 2 yen...
                      www.devilcraft.jp
                      www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

I appreciate everyone's responses. I think Ive decided to go through the Brewer's Guild long distanced course via the internet. While going through the course, Im going to hangout as much as possible at a small local distributin plant and try to volunteer there as much as I have time for. Then with my 5 week internship up in Tempe (4 Peaks was listed as a contracted brewery with the Brewer's Guild) Im going to morph into a sponge and soak up as much as possible.

I have a long road ahead of me, but I love being challenged, and learning about something I love has always come easy for me. I think I will also be able to apply my other tech degree to the mechanical part of the brewery with great results.

Once again, thanks to all who replied and wish me luck.

Comment

Working...
                        X