Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding brewing salts during fermentation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding brewing salts during fermentation?

Has anyone ever tried this with successful results?

Like, THEORETICALLY, if I normally add certain salts to my boil, what would the outcome be if I instead added them into the FV during fermentation? Is there any reason it would harm fermentation assuming sanitation is executed properly?

Curious and appreciative to hear any first-hand information on this...

Originally posted by StaEva View Post
    Has anyone ever tried this with successful results?

Like, THEORETICALLY, if I normally add certain salts to my boil, what would the outcome be if I instead added them into the FV during fermentation? Is there any reason it would harm fermentation assuming sanitation is executed properly?

Curious and appreciative to hear any first-hand information on this...
    I don't believe that you would get even distribution of the salts in fermentation, and then I would worry about whether they dissolved completely or just sank to the bottom of the fermenter and concentrated there.

Don't get me wrong, I've never done it, just not sure I'd even consider it.

Comment

I would THEORETICALLY dissolve the salts into an appropriate volume of water, boil it, then send through a HX into the FV. Then I would rouse the entire thing with CO2 bursts for a day to try help incorporating everything.

Comment

The salts assist in hop utilization, make them pop. Not sure how that will happen post boil, but; let us know..

Comment

Yes, but brewing minerals do a lot of other things aside from that.
          I think of it like seasoning risotto throughout its long cooking process. Layers of seasoning adding different characteristics.

I'll try some experiments...

Comment

Depending on which salts you add, and the quantities, there shouldn't be a problem.

However, the question is why do you want to add them there, and not at the mashing and perhaps boiling stages? The main reason for adding salts, well Calcium anyway, is to reduce the mash pH and bring the pH closer to the "ideal" for the enzymes to work, and to precipitate out phosphates (so reducing the pH)and oxalates (preventing oxalate haze formation). Adding them later means you are less likely to have the "ideal" mash pH. Other mineral salts can adjust the flavour slightly, depending on your point of view - classical UK theory has it that some chloride adds sweetness. I had a Belgian HB for a time, and he considered this BS - and he had a damned sight more sensitive palate than I ever had......
            dick

Comment

Working...
            X