No announcement yet.

Cleaning the inside of new Stout tanks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning the inside of new Stout tanks.

I have a residue on the inside of my new tanks and am trying to commision these things into service.I cant get them clean.

It is the same stuff as this guy is dealing with,http://discussions.probrewer.com/sho...cleaning+tanks

Looks like polishing compound.

I am 6'2" and 260 lb.They are 3bbl tanks.NO WAY I AM GETTING INSIDE THEM.

Any one else have this issue?

From my chemical guy:

After a conversation with another of our sales representatives this week, I wanted to reach out to you about a problem that he has recently seen in some of his new brewery customers. He explained that he has been seeing “mill scale” in new stainless kettles/tanks/equipment more frequently as of late. This is a by-product of the production of the stainless steel, not the equipment manufacturer. He described this material as a gray or chromium metallic dust that is present on the surface of the stainless and is extremely tough to remove. He explained that caustic won’t touch it and normal acid passivation is the same, it must be removed prior to acid passivation. If you have it present you should be able to see it with a bright flashlight or by wiping a white cloth across the surface of the stainless. It is likely not a problem for you; however, I wanted to pass along the info, as I know you have all new equipment. If by chance you find that you do have an issue with “mill scale,” let me know and I will get you a procedure to remove it.

Did you ask Stout?

Cheers,
    --
    Don
    Last edited by idylldon; 09-20-2016, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mntnmn View Post
      I have a residue on the inside of my new tanks and am trying to commision these things into service.I cant get them clean.

It is the same stuff as this guy is dealing with,http://discussions.probrewer.com/sho...cleaning+tanks

Looks like polishing compound.

I am 6'2" and 260 lb.They are 3bbl tanks.NO WAY I AM GETTING INSIDE THEM.

Any one else have this issue?

Bar keepers friend, a blue scrubby pad attached to a telescoping handle.

Comment

Working...
      X