Kettle Hop Dam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kettle Hop Dam

I currently have a 3BBL kettlefrom Stout Tanks. I am looking into adding a hop dam to the dish bottom to increase my yield. I currently whirlpool for 5-7 minutes and let rest for 15-25 minutes (longer on my IPA's). I dump a little bit out of the upper port until it's running pretty clear and then I start my transfer. Towards the end of the transfer the hop cone will start to break away and forces me to stop the transfer with most likely 15-20 gallons of wort still in the tank.

I spoke to my welder and he wants to get it done but I don't know much about how this should be designed. I am thinking that it would be a circular plate a few inches high welded to the bottom between the dump port and the racking port. How high should this be? Should it be closer to the racking port than the dump port? How close to the kettle walls should it go on each side?

If anyone has any design recommendation for this I would really appreciate some advice.

Thanks,
    Andy

Come on, help a brother out!! I know there's someone on here that's had some sort of hop dam welded in their kettle....

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

The big problem is you have a very small kettle and SOP's in brewing will always leave trub behind. I would be concerned that adding the dam will reduce the viability of your whirlpool. You could add a hopback and inline strainer between the kettle and the heat exchange to reduce the trub. A simpler method woould be to put your hops in sack.

Comment

We have a stout kettle with elements. The stainless is thin and I would hope the welder would be a good one. I just watch it and deal with my loses. I was on a Pub system that had one in the whirlpool, it was 2 pegs with a removable 1/4 circle piece that slid on top of them so you can remove for cleaning. So could always do that, but a hopback may be easier

Comment

I use a super strainer with a sock from GW Kent http://www.gwkent.com/super-strainer.html My kettle has a dome bottom.

Comment

I had the same kettle and the same problems. I had a hop spider built. Worked great on IPA and DIPAs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X