Cleaning/Maintaining your Dixie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning/Maintaining your Dixie

Hi Everyone -- I figure I would try and tap into the wisdom of ProBrewer. We have recently started crowlers in the tap room and bought a Dixie seamer to seam the cans with. We are finding that we need to disassemble the first and second seaming operation wheels just about every 3 or 4 days and give them a really good cleaning otherwise they start to stick and the cans don't seam properly. I was wondering if this is what others are experiencing.

Also, while I have your attention we also see the area that contains the drive shaft and clutch (encased in clear plastic) gets dirty relatively easily and we are having to take the covers off on a regular basis and clean them and the inside of that compartment to keep it looking good. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, have you found a better way to clean that part of the machine other than removing the plastic shield?

Cheers!
    - Chris
    Christopher Tkach
    Idle Hands Craft Ales
    Malden, MA
    chris@idlehandscraftales.com

That is exactly what I am doing. Because beer sprays everywhere when it spins, it gets everywhere.

Comment

anyone else having an issue getting their reverse threaded seam roll screws to back out? That tiny 90 deg flat head screwdriver bit set up doesn't seem to want to cooperate or have enough grip to get them out. I've tried soaking the top of the head with diluted old caustic to help "unstick" them but no dice.

Otherwise, we love this thing.

Comment

Originally posted by woohokie View Post
        anyone else having an issue getting their reverse threaded seam roll screws to back out? That tiny 90 deg flat head screwdriver bit set up doesn't seem to want to cooperate or have enough grip to get them out. I've tried soaking the top of the head with diluted old caustic to help "unstick" them but no dice.

Otherwise, we love this thing.
        Yeah, the screwdriver sucks but given the space you have to work in w/ the 1st operation wheel I'm not sure there is another solution. The design really should be more accommodating in terms of ease of maintenance.

Try adding a drop of oil to the threads when you go to put it back together and don't wrench down on it. That should help in the future. Unfortunately, I don't have a solution for you w/ your current situation other than to keep working at it.
        Christopher Tkach
        Idle Hands Craft Ales
        Malden, MA
        chris@idlehandscraftales.com

Comment

Thread sticking

I don't have one of these but if you are having trouble with the threads sticking you might try anit-seize, just a tiny dollop to coat the threads will help with removal in the future.

Comment

Working...
          X