Non-oxidizing disinfectant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-oxidizing disinfectant

I have been in contact with a company that can blend an acidic detergent according to my specifications.
    The amount will be around 1000 liter IBC container, but I would like to add a chemical that also disinfects the object.
    A non-oxidizing one, so we don't have to refill each day and we skip the last step of (currently) peracetic acid.

The acid will be used to clean our bright beer tank under pressure, our beer line and our filling machine.
    But I would like some recommendations what chemicals could be used for the disinfection.

The bright beer tank, beer line and filling machine is cleaned with caustic with hypochlorite every 15 batches.

You rinse off the acid, whether it contains sterilant or not. Whilst employed by international brewers, I used sterilants that contained non oxidising sterilants, and they had to be rinsed off because of both the nature of the sterilant because it doesn't decompose to harmless basic chemicals such as oxygen and water, and because of the acid not being considered suitable for non rinse use.

Stick with PAA or ClO2 (or possibly ozone) as a separate sterilant cycle - not perfect, but still the best currently available
    dick

Comment

Of course we rinse it, but a combined detergent and disinfecant saves time and water and that's what I am after in this case.

Ozone or chlorine dioxide is a plan for the future. Preferable ozone.

And in Europe, as I understand it from every chemical supplier I have bought from it is required to rinse away PAA.
      It's stupid, and most breweries and dairies I know of don't care about it.

Comment

It is not a requirement to rinse off PAA as it is still sold as a non rinse terminal sterilant.

However many breweries with sterile rinse water prefer to rinse off as they consider that the risk of contamination and development of off flavours is too high a risk to take - based normally on experience. The problem arises particularly in larger breweries where you cannot and do not inspect the plant physically due to the size, but the levels of automation are such that there have been instances of sufficient residues of PAA left to affect the flavour. Having worked at a couple of breweries in this situation, I do not consider this a stupid policy.

I totally agree that the final rinse water therefore needs to be sterile, but even where breweries are not able to guarantee this, the risk of serious re-contamination has been considered acceptable - on a brewery by brewery case.
        dick

Comment

Working...
        X