Brite tank cleaning schedule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brite tank cleaning schedule

Hey gang, so we are a new brewery in Northern CA and wondering a little about how other folks are handling cleaning. Originally we were rinsing, caustic washing, then sanitizing before a new beer was put in the tank. After several batches it became apparent that doing the full caustic cleaning treatment every time is slightly overkill as the brites don't have hard deposits in the tank. So basically we have begun doing the full cleaning every three batches or so and just do the rinsing and sanitizing every batch. Just wondering if this sounds like what others are doing or are we totally off base and should we be doing the full clean each and every time. We serve directly out of our brite tanks and keg as needed, most beers are in the brite a total of three weeks. Thanks for any and all replies

Topic has been covered on other threads....

Take a gander at past threads on this topic to learn what others have said. I am firm believer in keeping CO2 pressure and acid washing, followed by chlorine dioxide sanitizer. You will save time, water, energy, chemicals, heat, CO2 and make your beer better by lowering DO2 as well as putting less thermal strain on your tanks and saving yourself from working with such an aggressive chemical as hot caustic. Especially when you have filtered beers. You might have to tear down for complete cleaning more often with unfiltered beers, but still much better than hot caustic.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Yeah there are a number of threads on acid washing under co2. I use Birko's acid washing regimen, detailed here. Though it says keg cleaning, they also advocate it for BTs as well. I have been using it for 2 years with great results. It also helps keep from heating up our brewpub walk-in, which invariably effects pours because all the lines heat up as well (we're air-cooled, not glycol trunk lines). After about 1/2 dozen acid cleans, I'll do a full de-gas/alkaline with something like cell-r-master/pbw.
      Dave Cowie
      Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
      Nevada City, CA

Comment

Working...
      X