Mystery problem tap -- kegs foam, serving tank does not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery problem tap -- kegs foam, serving tank does not

I have a strange problem tap. I recently had staff complain about a keg on tap 1 excessively foaming. I could not find anything obviously wrong with it. So I switched the keg on tap 7 with the one on tap 1. The keg that was foaming on tap1 no longer foamed, and the keg I switched to tap 1 now started to foam. So obviously, a problem with the tap, right? So I tightened everything I could, cleaned that one line (I clean lines every 2 wks anyway), hooked up the keg again, and the problem continued. Then, since I had the next beer that was to replace that keg ready to go in serving tank 1, I went ahead and hooked it up, and lo! No foaming. Wtf?

There is no difference between any of my 8 taps other than distance, but there is not much in that. I have 8 taps, 6 served by serving tanks, the other 2 by kegs. They all go from tank/keg >> beer pump >> FOB >> tap. All air cooled. Distance is ~20-25'...total.

Am I missing something obvious here? Kegs perform fine on another tap (tap7), but foam on tap 1. Serving tank is fine on tap 1.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

Just one question... Sounds like a Tap Specific issue.

Are the delivery lines the same Length and Size (ID) Keg to Tap at Tap 8 as they are at Tap 1?

If so, there may be a restriction at Tap 1. I'd recirculate BLC through that tap just the same.

Comment

Tap 1 has 5/8" for about 10' from tank/keg to beer pump>FOB. It is 3/8" from FOB to taps, an additional 20'.

Tap 7 has 5/8" for about 10' from keg to beer pump.FOB. It is 3/8" from the FOB to taps, an additional 10'.

The confounding thing as that the tap was just fine with a serving tank source, but foamed with any keg source.
      Dave Cowie
      Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
      Nevada City, CA

Comment

Have you looked at the regulator? It is possible that the regulator for that line is set wrong, or that it APPEARS to be set right but is somehow damaged and not functioning properly.

Comment

Sounds like a sankey issue since it went away when you poured from a SV.

Comment

Barleyfreak, Your very last symptom, when you changed to the next beer that was ready and it poured fine, could be the clue that busts this theory:

We had a similar instance with one of our taplines - all newly installed, balanced system that was pouring great. All of a sudden one of the lines was foaming like mad with a keg of our Saison. I checked the pressure, regulator, inspected the line, took beer temps, all the normal stuff. What had happened was the gasket of the sanke coupler had stuck to the previous keg and pulled off when the kegs were changed. As a result the gas-in side of the keg was an open connection to the draft line, feeding both the keg and blasting CO2 up the line whenever the tap was opened. Once we isolated it we threw an extra gasket on there and it poured beautifully.

As a side note, I have had quality regulators go bad before as well - not respond to adjustments, etc. I have even had a full bank of 4 brand new regulators be bunk upon delivery.

Good luck with the foam woes!

Cheers,
            Tom

Comment

Working...
            X