Gabf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gabf

The Blue Moon display at the GABF, huge donation here. Tell me that the BA is not all about money. MC (including contract brews) given 6 medals.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mkunce; 10-12-2016, 03:01 PM.

Advertisement

Some decent flavor and great marketing can make for very nice sales. That is where we are currently. Sad but true. Focus on the small local breweries that are growing slow and smart..

Lance
    Reno, Nevada USA

Comment

huh?

What does the display have to do with MC winning medals? It was a sweet booth....
      Larry Horwitz

Comment

I judged at GABF a couple weeks back and have done previously, as well as a couple World Beer Cups.

Out of all of the competitions I've had the pleasure of being part of, I must say that the Brewers Association led comps are THE most professional and are done with utmost integrity. Everything is judged blind and judges have to declare styles that they cannot judge due to conflicts. So, no, money doesn't buy medals...at least at BA Comps.

Cheers,
        jeff
        Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
        Chairman of the Beer
        Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
        Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
        W: www.lovibonds.com
        F: LovibondsBrewery
        T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie View Post
          I judged at GABF a couple weeks back and have done previously, as well as a couple World Beer Cups.

Out of all of the competitions I've had the pleasure of being part of, I must say that the Brewers Association led comps are THE most professional and are done with utmost integrity. Everything is judged blind and judges have to declare styles that they cannot judge due to conflicts. So, no, money doesn't buy medals...at least at BA Comps.

Cheers,
          jeff
          Jeff, I judge every year and totally agree. I makes me crazy when people who don't know about the comp make statements like the OP about BA being swayed by money. Kids today!
          cheers
          Larry Horwitz

Comment

Brewer's Association Financials 2014

Source: IRS Form 990, a 501 (c) (6) tax exempt organization.

Revenue $20.7 M, Largest source, Project Services/Events $10.9 M.

Expenses $16.5 M, Largest expense, Travel/Conferences/Meetings $5.3 M.

Net Income to Retained Earnings $4.2 M.

Total Assets $19.4 M, Includes $10.9 M in Cash/Savings and a $6.2 M Building/Equipment for 62 employees.

President Charles Papazian's compensation and benefits, $288,198.

CEO Robert Pease's compensation and benefits, $234,331.

Form 990 Schedule C Lobbying Activities - lists no activity. Part III is completed though - it depicts nondeductible member's dues and expenditures.
            Last edited by mkunce; 10-25-2016, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Would you rather have an under-funded, under-staffed Association representing our industry?

Comment

Originally posted by mkunce View Post
                Source: IRS Form 990, a 501 (c) (6) tax exempt organization.

Revenue $20.7 M, Largest source, Project Services/Events $10.9 M.

Expenses $16.5 M, Largest expense, Travel/Conferences/Meetings $5.3 M.

Net Income to Retained Earnings $4.2 M.

Total Assets $19.4 M, Includes $10.9 M in Cash/Savings and a $6.2 M Building to house 62 employees.

President Charles Papazian's compensation and benifits, $288,198.

That's AWESOME...what's your point? That's how the BA raises money/attention to fight for things that are important to all of our businesses...like lower fed excise taxes, rights to self distribution, franchise law reform, brewer's publications, ambassadors for safety, quality, etc. etc. etc. etc.

I totally agree with the last poster...would you prefer a lousy trade organization with no budget? Wonder what NBWA raises / spends?
                Larry Horwitz

Comment

National Beer Wholesalers Association 2014 Financials

Source: IRS Form 990, a 501 (c) tax exempt organization.

Revenue $12.6 M, Largest source, Member Dues $10.5 M.

Expenses $12.6 M.

Total Assets $22.7 M, $3 M Building/Equipment for 27 employees.

Comment

Source: IRS Form 990, a 501 (c) tax exempt organization.

Revenue $12.6 M, Largest source, Member Dues $10.5 M.

Expenses $12.6 M.

Total Assets $22.7 M, $3 M Building/Equipment for 27 employees.

Comment

Then don't be a member if you don't agree with howit's run.

Comment

Re

Brewer's Association 2014, Net Income to Retain Earnings $4.2 M, Source IRS Form 990 Tax Exempt Organizations

Craft Brew Alliance, Inc. 2014, Net Revenue $200 M on 830,200 barrels produced, Net Income to Retained Earnings and Shareholders $3.1 M, Source SEC Form 10-K
                        Last edited by mkunce; 10-29-2016, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Brewer's Association IRS Filings

The Brewer's Association, by law, is required to make their IRS filings public. Form 990 Schedule B lists the large contributors. The BA redacts this information (Schedule B) from public view. Form details https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f990ezb.pdf

The IRS instructions linked above note that making Schedule B public is generally not required. The spirit of this disclosure exclusion is intended to protect contributors to true charitable and religious tax exempts - not those that represent public foundations, political action groups, lobbying organizations or trade associations that organize beer festivals to generate profit.

Why would ABInBev or MillerCoors object to the public knowing what they contribute to the Brewer's Association?
                          Last edited by mkunce; 11-02-2016, 09:36 AM.

Comment

The Brewer's Association by law is required to make their IRS filings public. Form 990 Schedule B lists the large contributors. The BA redacts this information (Schedule B) from public view. Form details https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f990ezb.pdf

The BA does not want the public knowing who the large contributors are.
                            This is highly misleading. While the filings may be a disclosable document, Schedule B and the contributors are not.

From https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-pr...-to-disclosure
                            Public Disclosure and Availability of Exempt Organizations Returns and Applications: Contributors' Identities Not Subject to Disclosure

Is a tax-exempt organization required to disclose the names or addresses of its contributors?

A tax-exempt organization is generally not required to disclose publicly the names or addresses of its contributors set forth on its annual return, including Schedule B (Form 990, 990-EZ, or 990-PF). The regulations specifically exclude the name and address of any contributor to the organization from the definition of disclosable documents.

Comment

Working...
                            X