Sanitary Hose stems and collars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sanitary Hose stems and collars

I know there a suppliers who sell hoses with the stems clamped on. Does anyone sell the equipment to make your own?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

you can buy TC fittings with barbs on them for just about any diameter. I've taken hoses in to be banded at various places before, you can also buy the banding machine yourself as well.

That being said - banded hoses really are not the best idea around a brewery. The barbs leave areas between them and the hose that are impossible to clean. When I had banded hoses the ends were cut off every year and the hoses redone. The hydraulically pressed hoses are much easier to keep clean and sanitary.

Either way, make sure you inspect and check your hoses regularly.

Cheers
    Manuel

Comment

I'm guessing you are referring to hose ends.

For a barb-and-band type fitting, most folks use Band-it clamps and a Band-it tool. They use them until they lose a batch or two, or, like our experience, an entire fermenter hall of product to an infection from critters hiding in the less-than-perfect banded hose ends.

We buy our hoses with internally expanded ends now. Lesson learned.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Timm

Where do you buy hoses from? We have banded ones now that im looking to replace. I didn't know if purchasing the clamping equipment was worth the investment versus replacing a perfectly good hose barb.

Thanks

Chris

Comment

Our current batch of hoses are from Associated Hose Products in Portland, OR. We're very happy with the hoses and the service.

Part of the decision on where to buy hoses is shipping. Hoses are bulky and heavy. We send our truck to Ptown weekly, so AHP was a good choice based on saving shipping costs, too.

Expect to replace your hoses every 3 years or so. This is a major brewery expense. Consider hard-piping wherever possible/practical, as the up-front costs will quickly be amortized compared to spending $10Ks on hoses every three years.

A cheap endoscope that plugs into a phone (<$20) is a great way to inspect the interior of your hoses. A single compromised hose will contaminate your entire operation. We found out the hard way.
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
          X