keg deposits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keg deposits

I want to start selling kegs from the brewery. However, I don't know what to do about the deposit and getting back all the kegs that go out. We are in a collage town so the student don't have much money and the chances are good that I wont see some of the kegs come back. I thought about taking a credit card imprint and having them sign an agreement stating that after so much time they will be charged the full amout for the keg. Does anyone do this currently? If so, how do I set it up? We don't do any sales from the brewery now. Thanks for the imput.

Tim Gallon

deposits on kegs

Most people I know ask for a cash deposit or a cheque that gets torn up or returned.......you'll never get your kegs/casks back otherwise

Tariq (Dark Star brewery West Sussex,U.K.)
    Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Canada

Comment

Our brewery is across the street from Michigan State University and we have a huge problem getting our kegs back from students. Ironically, I think it's not the poor college students who don't return the kegs, it's the one who have money and it isn't worth their time to return the kegs. You would be amazed at the number of times we have found them in dumpsters around town. We used to charge a $20 deposit and take a credit card number and would charge a "replacement fee" of $85 if they didn't return the keg in two weeks. For various reasons that didn't work out very well, for one people objected to leaving their credit card numbers not knowing who could get hold of them. Now we charge a $40 deposit and don't bother with taking a credit card number(most were denied anyway). People who don't return kegs are put on a list and not allowed to purchase kegs anymore. Increasing the deposit hasn't had any effect on sales, those who complained about the increase seemed to understand when we told them why. I sell a lot of kegs to people who have kegerators and if it wasn't for them I would charged $50 or $60 for deposit. Hope this helps.
      Scott Isham
      Harper's Brewpub

Comment

Working...
      X