Tank lining discolouring with Antiformin S

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank lining discolouring with Antiformin S

I routinely clean our boiler with Antiformin S (Caustic/chlorine mix, 2% @ 78c) recirculated through a sprayball including through the HEX. This is recirculated for about an hour before being washed and flushed with hot clean water.

I've recently noticed quite a significant change in colour around the bottom half of the tank, a sort of rainbow effect, particularly rising from the two elements, iridescent maybe?. It disappears when wet. Any ideas what it could be and if it's worth worrying about? I've only been here since February and the kit is 8 years old. Reasonably sure the previous brewer didn't caustic clean that much.
    Last edited by robwalker; 11-23-2016, 07:10 AM.

Contact the maker of your boiler. Is this a steam boiler? Low pressure or high?

I've never heard of a boiler cleaning regime like that.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
      Contact the maker of your boiler. Is this a steam boiler? Low pressure or high?

I've never heard of a boiler cleaning regime like that.
      He's talking about his kettle. Threw me at first, too. Seems like someone posted recently about a similar problem, can't remember the outcome.
      Last edited by MikeyB; 11-23-2016, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyB View Post
        He's talking about his kettle. Threw me at first, too. Seems like someone posted recently about a similar problem, can't remember the outcome.
        Oh, yes sorry. My copper/kettle - where we boil the beer prior to cooling.

Comment

Check this thread

Comment

You really should not use a chlorinated product on your copper kettle. The chlorine should also not be used at such high temperatures. I would suggest using just a hot caustic with a copper inhibitor, if the kettle is made of copper. You can use peroxide based additives which are less corrosive to copper than chlorine. Contact me directly if you need additional information. Dirk Loeffler - Loeffler Chemical Corporation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Loeffler Chemical Corporation
            (404) 629-0999
            800-769-5020 (US & Canada only)
            www.loefflerchemical.com

Comment

It's stainless, most people over here tend to say boiler, sorry for confusion!

Comment

Boiler ??? Really??

Your are the first I have ever heard (anywhere geographically, in 40 years) call it a boiler - either in the large companies or micros
                dick

Comment

Working...
                X