Stuck Fermentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stuck Fermentation

Yes I know, another noobe with another question about stuck fermentation. I've made three batches of beer so far in my life, and the past two have resulted in stuck fermentations with a higher than anticipated gravity reading. Here's the deal - three things have happened in my brewing process to the two most recent batches (that got stuck) as opposed to the first batch, which turned out fine.

1 - I installed a PUR water filter, and used that for my brewing water as opposed to store bought drinking water

2 - I started to add Irish Moss to the boil

3 - Colder temperatures (below 60) have accidentally occurred overnight for one night (I know, the wife left the door open and it got extremely cold over night...twice!)

Also, I'm an extract brewer using Nottingham dried ale yeast. Like I said, the first batch I made turned out perfect. I don't think the Irish Moss would result in my problems, and I don't think filtered water would either. I know that the colder temperatures are probably what resulted in the stuck fermentation. I also read that there's not too much to do in this scenario, other than carefully stir the wort to get the yeast back into action, and possibly add yeast nutrient/energizer.

Does anybody have any other comments or suggestions?

Thanks

1, 3 and maybe 4 and 5

There are a truckload of reasons why you can get a stuck fermentation. Here are a couple:
    Your 1: You need certain minerals for beer and this mainly for yeats propagation. No yeast development, no fermentation. Know what is in your water, what you want to filter out and use filters or additions accordingly.
    Your 3: If you are brewing in the small batches like you seem to be, a drop in temperature is not optimal but should not block your fermentation as you can bring the yeast back into suspension by swirling your fermentation vessels
    Maybe 4: Do you aerate your yeast prior to pitching?
    Maybe 5: Do you pitch enough yeast or are you underpitching?

One final comment is that you might be better off looking on a homebrewers forum. They run into more similar problems like you seem to have and they are more familiar with the type of equipment you are using. You can probably find the question there immediately as many will have run into the same problem.

I am willing to help but have never brewed a batch smaller than 8.5 bbl/10hL (and have never had a stuck fermentation I could not solve).

BelgianBrewer
    Last edited by BelgianBrewer; 04-05-2008, 01:24 AM.

Comment

Nottingham usually will ferment just about anything, anytime.
      Aeration is probably not the issue, as dried yeast doesn't require much.

What about your sanitation?
      You may have some residual sanitizer in your fermentation vessel.
      Even no-rinse sanitizers can hamper yeast. If it kills the bad stuff, it can also kill the good stuff.

My suggestion is add another packet (or two) of the dried yeast and see what happens. Looking at maybe $2.

Bob Sylvester
      Saint Somewhere Brewing

Comment

Working...
      X