Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how big do ineed to be?

hello all,

here is our dilemna. our little brewery has seen consistent growth of 20% in production for the last four years. (the rate was even higher before that, but we were so small, there was nowhere to go but up.) this year we will brew over 1600 bbl in about 2300 sq. ft including dry storage.

obviously, it is super tight working conditions. we own enough land at our current site to add about 4400 sq feet of production space. however, i worry that we will outgrow this as well in 3-5 years and need to move. so i am looking at just buying some acreage at the outskirts of town and building a new brewery and selling my old building. fortunately, the real estate market has gone crazy in the four years since we bought the current building and we should be able to realize a substantial profit on selling the old building.

my questions are these:

does anyone have a good formula for how many sq ft/bbl a brewery building should have?

right now we are largely a draft brewery and we would like to increase our packaging sales. how much dry storage does a packaging brewery producing 3000-5000 bbl need?

we would be giving up a downtown location for a "community entrance" location. our retail currently accounts for 15% of volume, 30% of sales. does anyone have any experience with such a switch in location? was retail affected?

i appreciate any input.

cheers,
    sam

I used to be a brewer for Odell Brewing Company in Fort Collins, CO, and about eleven years ago we went through a similar situation. You might want to call Doug Odell and ask him about the process (I haven't worked for him for ten years, so I'm sure not speaking for him!).

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Working...
    X