Good pump for CIP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good pump for CIP?

Looking at getting a CIP pump, between one of these or forking more money for a CPE Top-flo pump.

stainless impeller and housing, with viton seal, seems like it would safely handle 180 degrees with no leakage coming from motor?

Depends what you are cleaning

In simplistic terms -

Is the pump for delivery or tank scavenge?

Vessels - what flow rate and pressure do you want at the sprayhead, then allow for vertical height of sprayhead above pump?

Pipes - what diameter, and therefore what flow rate is required? How long, how many valves bends etc (though realistically in a small brewery the effects of these is normally minimal), any height gain, from say basement to 2nd floor which will generate back pressure.
    dick

Comment

1.5 inch pipes to connect directly to the fermenter. Maybe 8 feet total. Buckets of Caustic/acid tossed in the man way of the tank, and various CIP and SIP cycles pumped through the 40gpm spray ball.
      Seems like what I'm hearing is as long as I have proper flow there are no other concerns about the pump head or seals?

Comment

I've been using one very similar to that without problem. Now, that's only been for a year or so, so I can't speak to longevity. You might actually be able to go a little smaller and get a 110v model, unless 220 is easy for you to access.

Other thing I've learned is that some 3/4" or 1" tri-clamp to NPT adapters have very small caliber bores, so they become an obvious restriction. Just watch for that. I have some coming from Amazon just for that reason.

-J.
        Jeremy Reed
        Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
        The North of 48 Brewing Company
        Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

Just to mention based on your last comment. I would not use that pump for SIP as its not designed to be sanitary... You will end up with some sort of gunk in the treads on either side of the pump sooner or later.
          I would at the very least never let a pump like that touch wort. It you're only using it for CIP/SIP you may be alright, personally I'm not sure I'd trust it.
          Manuel

Comment

Pumps

Why not (other than budget) get a sanitary pump so it can serve dual purposes? Bought my last one from CPE Systems inc.
            Joel Halbleib
            Partner / Zymurgist
            Hive and Barrel Meadery
            6302 Old La Grange Rd
            Crestwood, KY
            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Originally posted by BrewinLou View Post
              Why not (other than budget) get a sanitary pump so it can serve dual purposes? Bought my last one from CPE Systems inc.
              Just looked at CPE, for $800 vs $600 i think we can afford to make the upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by mmussen View Post
                Just to mention based on your last comment. I would not use that pump for SIP as its not designed to be sanitary... You will end up with some sort of gunk in the treads on either side of the pump sooner or later.
                I would at the very least never let a pump like that touch wort. It you're only using it for CIP/SIP you may be alright, personally I'm not sure I'd trust it.
                We're not pro's, for now, so I'm not concerned.

Also, if the nasty acid and caustic that we use wil kill the creepies in the BBT or FV, then it'll kill them just the same in the NPT threads.

My March and Chuggers with NPT fittings touch our wort all the time - hot wort, mind you.

Your words are taken to heart though. If we turn pro we'll be getting a proper pump.

-J.
                Jeremy Reed
                Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
                The North of 48 Brewing Company
                Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

Working...
                X