figured I'de give it a shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• figured I'de give it a shot

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were. I recently attempted to brew a bock, and my dipstick must have gotten bumped, because my O.G. was a bit low, and my volume was a bit high, just by a few points, of course, but enough to really steam me up. Surely, there is no way for me to increase the gravity without thinning out the final product, right? I mean, I could brew a small, highly concentrated pilot batch, and add it during a transfer, but that would not necessarily fix the problem, right? (Yes, I'm fishing for answers, here). I have massaged the thought of brewing another small batch, and blending, but I don't have the tank space, and by the time I get malt ordered and delivered, the yeast will be dead, and my boss will be pissed that I missed the deadline for releasing the bock. Help!

If you brewed it yeasterday or 2-3 days ago, you could brew a higher gravity batch and add it to the fermeneter, If not its better to ferment it sepratly and blend them together before packaging. If its just a few off I wouldnt worry It probably will taste just fine.
    www.Lervig.no

Comment

You could ice it.....
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

Honey

Heat up some honey and water to 170 to pasteurize and dump it in the prv or blow it in with a keg. You would have to do some simple calculating to figure out how much to add.
        Big Willey
        "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

I second the honey idea....

Adds no real noticable flavors, but bumps the gravity.
          "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

And isn't icing it illegal in most states?
            Scott Metzger
            Freetail Brewing Co.
            San Antonio, TX

Comment

What they dont know wont hurt them! Just kidding..................muahahahah
              Big Willey
              "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

If you want to stick to tradition, then you cant add anything other than malt, water, hops or yeast.

But who really cares...
                www.Lervig.no

Comment

Bock

Just leave it like it is.if it is just a few points it shouldent hurt at least you got a clean beer to serve . Remember your beerdrinking customers might love it and ask you to brew it again ,thats where you can get in trouble by icing it down, or add Honey or even Bockextract.Also making a small batch would be the best it consumes Money and Time and I am sure your Boss don't like this fact neither.Let us know how you handle the situation and how the beer turns out Prost Harry
                  Harald Mois

Comment

Originally posted by hmois
                    Just leave it like it is.if it is just a few points it shouldent hurt at least you got a clean beer to serve . Remember your beerdrinking customers might love it and ask you to brew it again ,thats where you can get in trouble by icing it down, or add Honey or even Bockextract.Also making a small batch would be the best it consumes Money and Time and I am sure your Boss don't like this fact neither.Let us know how you handle the situation and how the beer turns out Prost Harry
                    I agree with Harald, leave it alone. Personally, I'd pull a couple of kegs for icing just for shits/giggles and they make great Christmas presents. Do you need my address?
                    Last edited by beertje46; 10-24-2006, 01:20 PM. Reason: content
                    Cheers & I'm out!
                    David R. Pierce
                    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                    POB 343
                    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Originally posted by hmois
                      I second, or third rather, leaving it alone if your color is on. If it’s just a few points low, a little less alcohol, a little more in sales perhaps...
                      jephro
                      Jeff Byrne

Comment

Yes, most definitely. Leave it alone.

No one knows what gravity you meant to hit. If it is a great beer, they will love it as it is.

Cheers,
                        Ron
                        Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales

Comment

Thanks for all the great advice! I may just leave it alone. Instead of honey, how about malt extract! Would that work just as well?

Comment

Bock

Yes but remember at you have to boil it and add hops its like making a little batch and I believe it would just screw your existing batch.
                            Harald Mois

Comment

Working...
                            X