Beer Names

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beer Names

Okay, I'm going a bit mad thinking of possible beer names....anyone have tips or anyone agree that it sucks?

Also thinking about whether or not to place the 'style' as part of the name. So-and-so Wheat or So-and-so Porter. Anyone have views on whether it is a good thing to project the 'style' of beer in the name versus a name that doesn't necessarily tell you what kind of beer to expect?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
    Chairman of the Beer
    Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
    Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
    W: www.lovibonds.com
    F: LovibondsBrewery
    T: @Lovibonds

Names

Rosie,

You sure picked a complex subject with a simple question. I have seen several approaches.

1. Bud - this approach promotes the brand (Anhieser Who?)
    2. Sierra Nevada Pale - Promotes the brewery and style
    3. Arrogant Bastard - Lots of great attitude(Stone Brewing)

I think the most important thing is to be consistant and dedicated to your theme. People can tell when your a fake. I personaly like the beers and promotions that have attitude. Oh a simple name helps because you can order bud, pale, or etc. I am interested in what other ideas and approaches are out there.

Graydon Brown
    Last edited by Graydon; 10-25-2006, 01:14 PM.

Comment

I just pick names, for the most part, with a randomness generated from drinking my beer! I've used names from song titles, local geographical features and catchy titles I've just happen to hear....it's one of the more fun aspects of brewing!
      "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Beer names I used for St. Pat

I did a Scotch Ale and an Irish stout last year for St Patty's day:
        Edenburgh Scotch Ale
        Loose Cannon Irish Stout
        I thought of Brave Heart the movie. The name for the stout came from the crazy Irish man on the movie.

Comment

I used to look at the comercial fishing boats for cool names, Occasionally Id see a name on the side of a boat which i thought fit a certian beer.

I had a Barleywine named Maelstorm, which I thought was a fitting name...
          www.Lervig.no

Comment

Rbng

Easy:

Random Beer Name Generator

el

Comment

Researching beer names

My request to everybody: Please do a little research on names and styles. Just a little.

- Don't call something a lambic just because it has fruit in it. I won't name names here.
              - Be careful not to infringe on other people's trademarks. For example, using the word 'steam'. Or using the words 'strawberry blonde'. I'm not a lawyer, but I think both of these are trademarked.

Cheers,
              --Jake Tringali

Comment

Personally, I really like the name "Strawberry Blond Steam Lambic."

Sincerely,
                Guy who missed the previous message

Comment

Best Beer Name Never Used

Dr. Spocktoberfest

enough said

Comment

no humor

Just remember there are alot of people who may not share your sence of adventure. I wanted to name a Mai-Bok "Buxum Blond" and was told it might be offensive??? My next name "Restaurant GM's are Idiots" didnt get appoved either..........
                    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
                    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
                    "Your results may vary"

Comment

Risque Naming/Branding

A rather well known craft brewer recently named one of their beers after a sex act that involves urine. I am all for poking fun at people that take themselves too seriously and for having fun in general. Isn't that what beer is supposed to be about? If someone wants to name their beer "Leather Sex Imperial Stout" I don't have a problem with it. If the beer is good I don't care. However, that sort of thing can make some people uncomfortable and others downright hostile. Some folks are sensitive about that sort of thing.
                      Last edited by Wyrdbrew; 10-26-2006, 10:10 AM. Reason: correction
                      Travis Miller
                      Brattleboro, VT
                      On brewing hiatus as a SAHD

Comment

Golden Shower Ale? Is it served warm or cold?

We produce a contract brew for a local company called "Kentucy's Finest Horse Piss Beer". No kidding.

Check out this GoDaddy hosted webpage! http://diversabrandsinc.com.

From the HBP website:
                        "Horse Piss Beer is dedicated to helping others. A percentage of the sales of the beer and merchandise will be donated to help disabled jockeys and thoroughbred adoption programs."
                        Last edited by beertje46; 10-26-2006, 10:15 AM. Reason: content
                        Cheers & I'm out!
                        David R. Pierce
                        NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                        POB 343
                        New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Okay, continuing the "Names-That-Won't-Get-Approved" threadjack:

I was going to do a cream ale using flaked rice instead of corn....the name?

Brewkakke Cream Ale.

Name was sunk immediately by management.
                          "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

I second the post that music lyrics can be a great source of names. Something you particularly relate to and ideally that others can as well. My "Twist of Fate Bitter Ale" is an example. (No copies please!)
                            The suffix "-style" should be added especially when you are using a geographical name, i.e. "Belgian-syle" if your beer is in fact not made in Belgium. Saying your beer is a Belgian ale would not only (horse) piss off Belgian brewers, but would also be false advertising. No need to say something is Porter-style.

Comment

Originally posted by RobZamites
                              Okay, continuing the "Names-That-Won't-Get-Approved" threadjack:

I was going to do a cream ale using flaked rice instead of corn....the name?

Brewkakke Cream Ale.

Name was sunk immediately by management.
                              Awesome name. How many average Joe people would've gotten "Brewkakke" really? If they do get the name they are looking at something beside ProBrewer online. In my first brewing gig, the owners had some names picked out when I was hired; Back Door Brown for one. None of their names made the cut.

You should try the Ted Briggs approach: "Restaurant GM's are Idiots". Glad I don't work for one!
                              Last edited by beertje46; 10-26-2006, 10:56 AM. Reason: correct spelling
                              Cheers & I'm out!
                              David R. Pierce
                              NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
                              POB 343
                              New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Working...
                              X