Ipa Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ipa Recipe

Hi guy's I work in a little microbrewery in P.E.I Canada and we have a 7 bbl brew system and we are trying to come up with a recipe for a traditional India pale ale I can find lots of recipes but none for 7bbl yield If anyone knows of any good recipes or links where I can get 7bbl recipes I would greatly appreciate it. Cheers. daveandang@ruranet.com
    Last edited by BrewerD69; 11-01-2006, 04:57 PM.

Ipa

I have one on tap right now. Brewed it last month and it has proved very popular.
    Malt bill was mostly pale ale, with colour from crystal, and some wheat.
    Hops were POR, EKG and Cascade in last.
    It's nicely balanced.

OG was 14.9P

Allan
    Tanglehead Brewing Company

Comment

Originally posted by BrewerD69
      Hi guy's I work in a little microbrewery in P.E.I Canada and we have a 7 bbl brew system and we are trying to come up with a recipe for a traditional India pale ale I can find lots of recipes but none for 7bbl yield If anyone knows of any good recipes or links where I can get 7bbl recipes I would greatly appreciate it. Cheers. daveandang@ruranet.com
      Here's a link to the style guidelines for IPA:

I like to match my IBU's to the SG. i.e. OG of 1.075 = 75 IBU
      Cheers & I'm out!
      David R. Pierce
      NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
      POB 343
      New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Ipa

..tried to brew mine true to style as well
        6.4% ABV and approx. 60 IBU

Comment

I appreciate your responses guys thanks for the help anymore info on recipes would be great

Comment

As a rough starting point, I used 90-95% pale ale malt and 5-10% medium or dark crystal malt. Mash low to get a nice dry finished beer and hop roughly 3.5 IBU's per degree Plato.

Your mileage will vary
            "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

This is more or less my IPA from promash, just plug these numbers in and adjust the malt until you near these percents...it's an American IPA, so it's pretty high on the Cascade. I know you said you wanted a traditional IPA, but this might give you some ideas.

Grist:

2-row pale malt: 80%
              Biscuit Malt: 5% (gives a nice aroma, good head retention)
              Wheat Malt: 5% (nice for mouthfeel, creamy body)
              Crystal 60L: 10%

You can go for 80L Crystal if you want to darken it up a little more. My IPA is a little light in color for the style, about 8.5 SRM according to Promash, though I think it comes out closer to a 10 or 11.

Hops:

I adjusted the scale for a 7 bbl system, my recepie was written for a 4 bbl system, so it might not scale up exactly at these amounts...all pellets.

Perle: 90 minutes, 1.5 lbs
              Fuggle: 60 minutes, 3 lbs
              Cascade: 15 minutes, 3 lbs
              Cascade: 5 minutes, 2 lbs
              Cascade: Dry hop, 2 lbs

I traded off the cascade dry hop for Northern Brewer once and had good results also, made for a slightly more floral nose than the citrus from the cascade.

Hope it helps
              www.devilcraft.jp
              www.japanbeertimes.com

Comment

I'd also like to add that if you *really* want, I'll bring the wife and myself up to PEI and help you brew a batch! (We'd like to relocate to the Atlantic Provinces someday)

Cheers!

Rob
                "By man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world" -- St. Arnold of Metz

Comment

Working...
                X