Draft inducer on kettle flue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft inducer on kettle flue?

I was wondering if it's "advised" to have a variable speed draft inducer in-line with our steam flu?
    Does your kettle stack have any sort of draft inducer?
    It's a 20 foot vertical run straight out the roof from the kettle. A friend of mine swears I need it, and I'm not finding any clear answers online or probrewer...yet!

If anyone has a moment to chime in with experience or suggestions that would be wonderful.

Cheers
    Last edited by BrewingPadawan; 02-08-2017, 06:46 AM.

I would reach out to Ward Burner Systems in Tennesee
    Marc Ward is the owner and he helped us a whole lot on our direct fire system with both the controllers and the venting.

Comment

Check out something called the stack effect. It is what makes chimney work passively, though you have to make sure it is high enough above the roof to be in free air, usually a foot or two, or if it is a building with a parapet wall, above that. A rough back of the napkin calculation for our set up shows approx 250 cfm stack effect at full boil, assuming dry air. I suspect that the density increase of the wet air reduces this a little bit, but we never get steam backflowing into the brewery, it always goes up the stack. So I would say, properly designed, you do not need a stack fan.

Comment

After reading and figuring what I could, we decided to install the stainless flue without an inducer. I'm thinking if we find we need it down the road we can install it then without too much trouble. We made sure our stack was 3' out of the roof to help the natural draft.

Cheers to good beers

Comment

Working...
        X