Cheap carbonation tester?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap carbonation tester?

Hey, does anyone use one of these to test CO2 in beer? I'm trying to not have to spring for a Zahm.

I've never seen anyone in the beer biz using one of these.

You were born with a perfectly good tester somewhere between your nose and your chin.
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

I think the major problem with the taprite tester is that there doesn't appear to be a way to counter-pressure fill it. Spend the money and purchase the Zahm. It is a good quality instrument that will last many years and give you accurate, repeatable results.

Cheers!
      --Neil

Comment

Carbonation

First time I have seen this unit too. I will check into it though I'll bet it is not much cheaper than the Zahm. Go with what is known in the industry and you will be fine. The Lab versions can be damaged easily but if you are testing in the brewhouse the Zahm tester is pretty robust and should give years of service.

Gary.

Comment

These guys also make CO2 testers.

Have use them in the past. Seem to work well.

Cost is comparable to Zahm, if I recall.

Might be worth a quick email.

Catalog is available online.

Liam McKenna
          www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Buy the Zahm. It's waaaaaay cheaper then even just a couple of bbls of wasted beer. Nothing on the market is as durable or appropriate for less $$$.
            Larry Horwitz

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Horwitz
              Buy the Zahm. It's waaaaaay cheaper then even just a couple of bbls of wasted beer. Nothing on the market is as durable or appropriate for less $$$.
              I agree with Larry and Gary. The money is well spent and with care will last a lifetime.

Anyone checked e-Bay?
              Cheers & I'm out!
              David R. Pierce
              NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
              POB 343
              New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

Go with a Zahm

Zahm will support their products as long as you own it.
                Jeff Byrne

Comment

We've used a similar one since 1998 (of course the gauge and gaskets have been replace a few times) and it works fine for us. A couple of years ago we got a fancy German gadget that uses electricity to stir up the bubbles to get the proper reading. Veery accurate but tidious to use. Once we matched them together and found that the "old" one gave us good readings we kept using it more often. Easier when bottles are shooting, the filter is clogging up and three truck drivers are jumping around eager to get their orders packed and loaded.
                  Then came the sign that said I really need to get a life when I could pour up a bottle that just came out from the filler and give quite a good guess of the CO2 level by just looking at the bubbles and the way the foam head shrunk.
                  We let our CO2 pressure span over maybe a higher span that you guys and that's why we settle for this simple solution.

Comment

Working...
                  X