Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast repitching ...

Hi guys,

I'm taking one of my recipes to the 'next level'...basically scalling up from .8 hl to 7 hl.

Regarding the yeast...

...I plan to take the slurry from one of my .8 hl batches and repitching into the 7 hl. Does this sound like enough yeast - assuming it had a good first life and is in good shape?

I plan to pull it the day before brew day. The beer is a 1.046 Weizen, with WL 300 as the yeast.

Any thoughts appreciated!
    Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
    Chairman of the Beer
    Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
    Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
    W: www.lovibonds.com
    F: LovibondsBrewery
    T: @Lovibonds

Its more in likely enough, aerate well on you small batch and you will have an abundance of yeast for the larger.
    www.Lervig.no

Comment

let´s say you pitched according to the rule about have a liter of thick yeast slurry per hl (15-20 Mill cells/ml) and end up after fermentation with 3 times the amount. In your case 1,2 liter out of 0,8 hl green beer. Makes enough yeast to ferment 2,4 hl wort.

You could solve the propblem by using the first batch as propagation batch and therefore double the amount of yeast in it (120 Mill cells/ml). Meaning temp of at least 15°C better 25°C and constant or frequent aeration. Add zinc to improve yeast growth.

yes aeration would help on your batch, but only yeast growth and less a proper fermentation
      Christoph

"How much beer is in German intelligence !" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Yeast pitching

Originally posted by Rosie
        Hi guys,

I'm taking one of my recipes to the 'next level'...basically scalling up from .8 hl to 7 hl.

Regarding the yeast...

...I plan to take the slurry from one of my .8 hl batches and repitching into the 7 hl. Does this sound like enough yeast - assuming it had a good first life and is in good shape?

I plan to pull it the day before brew day. The beer is a 1.046 Weizen, with WL 300 as the yeast.

Any thoughts appreciated!
        It is supposed that you get 4-5 times more yeast than you have to for repitching for equal volumes; means you underpitch by the factor of 2 that is quite acceptable.
        You definitely can do it as Ol-Sheik advised, to repitch by green beer. Just aerate well, ferment 4-5C higher than designated fermenting temperature. Take the green beer for repitching when it has apparent extract of 6-7%.
        BTW, what is your designated fermenting temperature?
        It could be important for Weizen because it is one of the factors regulating that clover taste if it is real Bavarian Weizen.
        The same as mashing method.
        Last edited by Hofer; 11-12-2006, 02:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X