Idea for DIY Hop Torpedo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idea for DIY Hop Torpedo

Don't know that I am going to to do this, but thought I'd share the idea both for feedback and potential inspiration. I had been thinking about modifying a 15 gallon keg to use a small scale hop torpedo. I just saw these tanks available and they're already modified as I wanted to. In fact, they're better, in that they've got a larger tri clamp that could be used for adding/removing hops.

Basic idea is to:
    1. Open the vessel and add leaf hops
    2. Stick one of these filters in the top fitting (just the filter and gasket, not the rest of the hardware): https://utahbiodieselsupply.com/brew...ebarrelfilters
    3. Recirculate beer through the bottom fitting and out through top fitting

I was planning on adding a C02 in to a T at either inlet or outlet so that the whole unit could be flushed before running beer.

Anyway... an idea. Assuming it would work, this is a 25 G torpedo for <$500. Might interest some folks...

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	194913Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	194914

The only problem you will have is that those types of filter screens are meant to flow from the inside out, if the flow from the outside in gets somewhat impeded, the screen will collapse.

Comment

look up arbor fab. guy makes tons of these for home brew, sanke and corny kegs. he does alot of custom work, can make you exactly what you'd like, no compromise.

also- 800 is pretty fine, even leaf hops could clog it id think when the little hop hash particles wash off the flowers. maybe a 300/400 outer screen and a 800 inner might help avoid clogging.

post some pix for us when you get your rig built.

Comment

Working...
      X