Wort Oxygenation Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wort Oxygenation Question

Currently using pure 02 for oxygenating wort prior to yeast pitching with an in-line o2 stone and large o2 tank with a medical oxygen regulator. The regulator reads in liters per minute. Just curious to know if there is a set formula or equation to equate the flow of liters per minute to PPM in wort, since I know my desired PPM. Any info?

Not really. Calculating stuff like this has so many factors, temp, volume, time, surface area of stone and so on. What is your batch size and how many brews are you doing per fermenter fill?
    Marius Graff,
    Head Brewer, Graff Brygghus
    Tromsø, Norway

Comment

I usually set it to .5 LPM and let it rip for the entire duration of the transfer.

Comment

Tons of other threads on this issue...

If it is a typical rotameter then you are almost certainly NOT getting the flow that it reads due to different gas type, pressure, and temperature from calibration. And you cannot be sure that all gets dissolved. And many other factors that have the numbers on your rotameter scale fairly useless. Best answer is for you to use it qualitatively and perform fermentation studies. Put the random number where you want it based on actual performance.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by MariusGraff View Post
          Not really. Calculating stuff like this has so many factors, temp, volume, time, surface area of stone and so on. What is your batch size and how many brews are you doing per fermenter fill?
          I know there are a multitude of factors so that's why I'm looking for some experienced help. Batch size is 3.5 BBL and most batches are doubled into 7 BBL tanks. Current practice is to set the regulator on the o2 tank to 1.5 L/min and let it go for half of the transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by chapusin View Post
            I usually set it to .5 LPM and let it rip for the entire duration of the transfer.
            We do this too, and have had great luck with it.

Are we optimized?? No clue. Are we doing better than most?? We think so. We've not had a fermentation that is anything less than rumbling within 12 hours of it hitting the ferm.
            Jeremy Reed
            Co-Founder and President, assistant brewer, amateur electrician, plumber, welder, refrigeration tech, and intermediately swell fella
            The North of 48 Brewing Company
            Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

www.no48.ca

Comment

22.4 litres oxygen at atmospheric pressure and 272 def K ( zero deg C) weighs 32 grams. Boyles law - P1*V1/T1 = P2*V2/T2 where T is expressed in deg K

So you can now work the total volume (i.e. weight) of CO2 required and thus the flow rate required at whatever pressure you need to have to get it to inject.

But as Phillip says - you need to have it all dissolve, so realistically for a small setup like this, trial and error is probably simplest

And why are you wasting money on medical grade oxygen (is is it really just the regulator)? Food grade oxygen is fine.
              dick

Comment

Actually, I'll disagree with O2 use....

There are some studies (don't ask me where now) that show high direct pure O2 injection into wort may actually oxidize things you don't want oxidized. My best advice for small batch breweries is to use AIR. Not expensive O2, but filtered air. Unless you are making a triple imperial barley wine IPA (in which case you might want oxygen after first signs of fermentation), you don't need more O2 than a steady stream of pure air into the cooled wort stream. You will never over-oxygenate with air. And some styles and/or yeasts work better with less O2 and less vigor 12 hours after pitch. I keep several styles from signs of fermentation up to 24 hours later. Keep It Simple... Know your yeast and your flavor profile. Faster is often NOT better.....
                Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Expensive, but having a DO meter will allow you measure the actual uptake in the wort and help you dial in the flow for your system.

Comment

Working...
                  X