Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carbonation methods for conditioning tank

Hello.
    We've been struggling to develop a consistent and rapid batch carbonation process for keg beers. When I started with the brewery we were filling kegs and leaving them with a constant top pressure for a measured amount of time per product via a distribution manifold. While we had cellar space to do quite a few at once, it doesn't scale very well and are only really able to produce enough for our own consumption. We've a 1,000L horizontal conditioning tank which we've been experimenting with to be able to batch carbonate with the aim of being able to fill keg directly and hopefully get some canning done. Way I see it we've a few potential methods. This is in order of what we wanted to do and what we've tried.

- Put co2 into the beer using the stone at the bottom.
    Sufficient co2 doesn't really flow through the beer unless we allow it to bleed pressure at the top. We can carbonate the beer within a day or so by bleeding the pressure in large amounts every few minutes to allow the co2 to flow at a steady clip, but we are pushing aromatics out of the beer and it relies on a steady measured hand and constant attention. Otherwise the tank eventually becomes pressurised to the point where the regulator cannot push more co2 into the beer and if it is, it does it so slowly it in effect becomes similar to forced carbonation under top pressure.

We built a relief for the top and thought we'd cracked it. We can set a pressure to hold at the top, the idea being we can leave it alone and it'll be a consistent method once dialled in it'll still allow a steady flow of co2 through the beer while holding 2bar or so on the beer at the top. In practice it takes absolutely ages as it quickly reaches equilibrium and the flow stops (comparable even to doing individual kegs!) and we have constant problems with the stone clogging up. I guess a larger/different micron stone might help, but they are quite expensive?

- Put co2 into the beer using a port opened only slightly.
    Ok, this works, but we scrub aromatics from the beer and we produce lots of fob. It also relies on constant attention and a steady hand and seems hit or miss as a result. We set the top relief, blow in co2 until the tank is pressurised and let it sit and absorb a little, then blow in some more and repeat. It takes a long time and seems inferior to the stone in every method except it is actually salvageable if the stone blocks up. While we've encountered others in the industry using this method I worry about the aromatics and knocking carbonation out of the beer with those big bloops of co2 going in as we primarily want to keg the heavily hopped aromatic beers.

- Inject in line.
    We've a stone/injector in a inline fitting which we can rig up to circulate the beer. We've yet to try this, but will be the next method. Our pumps are pressure rated so we'll just circulate it on a loop and hope the tank doesn't just fill up with fob. Primary concerns are basically repeatability, fobbing and sanitation I guess. We haven't tried it and it could all go wrong.

Does anybody have an insights? We are generally making it up as we go along and it'd be very interesting to know what method others settled on.

You're going to get a dozen different opinions on the necessity of venting while carbonating. I don't vent but I haven't locked down my process.

Consider getting a tank manager. Measures temperature of beer and pressure in headspace and uses a flow meter to control the speed of CO2 push through a carb stone. Becomes a bit more set and forget and seems to work well enough according to the reviews I've seen.

You can manage this yourself easily enough (sort out the required pressure for proper carbonation based on your beer style, temperature and tank dimensions then use a flow meter to control CO2 flow). A tank manager helps keep the process in line but will cost you $2500+

Comment

Lots of this information in these threads.....

Look up carbonation threads on this site. Some of the best discussions we've had. Lots to learn. Not difficult, but you must learn what's actually going on in there. DO NOT VENT. IMO, that's just silly. Learn the lessons and you will be happily on your way to perfect carbonation. Good luck!
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I've had a good read and it would seem that we should be pushing co2 in through the stone at a rate measured with a rotometer dependent on potential saturation at temperature while taking into consideration the wetting pressure of the stone and hydrostatic pressure of the lines while not venting at the top. I'm thinking that you can roughly estimate when it is done by determining the difference between the pressure at the top vs the pressure coming in. This is fair enough. What would be useful would be the times this is supposed to take to see if it is a process worth exploring. I also think we might need a better regulator capable of outputting a greater pressure. We are currently looking at a week to chill and carbonate 1,000L, we struggle to get the beer below 1.4C tbh.

Comment

I do not vent when I carbonate and I consistanly have carbonated beer in well under 24 hours (I let it run form 3 or 4 pm until I get in the next day).
          1 - make sure your beer is already crashed and cold
          2 - work out what pressure you'll need at that temp to get the desired level of carbonation (X)
          3 - put pressure on the top of the tank to get the pressure to X-1 (or 2, just make sure its close to the pressure you'll need)
          4 - set your stone to wetting pressure + pressure of beer column + X. (you should be able to hear (or if using a flowmeter, see) gas going into the beer.
          5 - When your tank pressure reaches X your beer is carbed.

Just make sure that all your pressure gauges are calibrated and reading accurately.
          Manuel

Comment

Carbonation methods for conditioning tank

How about getting a new stone. We replace ours every 2 years as the performance slows down. We flush these with caustic and acid regularly but when we get new ones we can carb up in a few hours.

Maybe try an acid descale thru the stone, or get a longer one. Our stones for a 50bbl tank have a Scinted section of 30cm. They cost about $600 each but think of the time and labour.

Ours also go into the side port, so they have a section of solid steel to allow them to have the candle part directly in the beer.

Sounds like the current stone is too small or clogged. Calcium oxylate will build up anywhere ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the replies everybody. I think we'll try the stone again the next time, but prior to using it we will try and clean it in one of those ultrasonic baths. We really need a better co2 regulator to eliminate some more of the unknowns and luckily these are not that expensive, will be useful elsewhere and will improve an already known to be less than optimal item.

Originally posted by Rocks Brewer View Post
              How about getting a new stone. We replace ours every 2 years as the performance slows down. We flush these with caustic and acid regularly but when we get new ones we can carb up in a few hours. Maybe try an acid descale thru the stone, or get a longer one. Our stones for a 50bbl tank have a Scinted section of 30cm. They cost about $600 each but think of the time and labour.
              Ours comes in through a port in the bottom. It is kind of a dog leg shape with a straight steel section of about 6" with a 45 bend followed by a sintered section for another 6". We like to hope this allows it to clear any sedimentation. I totally see your point on replacing it and if the process was already proven I don't think we'd have any problems going to the boss cap in hand for a new one, but because they are so expensive there is a lot of reluctance on taking the gamble. I'm sure we'll get there, thanks again.

Comment

Working...
              X