DE Filtration with Briess Carapils (Dextrin) malt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DE Filtration with Briess Carapils (Dextrin) malt

We have noticed that we have had issues filtering our ISA. This is the second time we have filtered it.
    The only thing differing it from our other beers is using Carapils (Dextrin Style) malt for body, and unfermentables.

Yeast strain is 1968 London ESB; dry hopping isn't significantly more than our IPA's, and hoppy pale ales.
    Our DE is a polish grade (about 5 micron nominal), and our bag filter to catch any post DE is about 7.5 micron absolute.
    We do not add anything else to the filtration.
    Every other beer we filter has had no issues.

Has anyone had problems with DE filtration using this product?
    If so, got any hints on how to remedy this?

Thanks
    David

re: Carapils

As a longtime commercial brewer myself I used Carapils in just about every beer I rolled out anywhere from 3-10% and never had any issue with haze using a sheet filter; I have heard brewers using > 15% have seen higher differential pressures in filtration, likely due to increased viscosity of the liquid. Our tech sheet recommends 1-5% to achieve varying levels of the positive attributes of increased body/mouthfeel and though unscientific with the breweries I was running I felt that it was good for shelf stability as well (again, not proven just a gut feel on that). What % of your grist bill is Carapils in the ISA you’re having issue with? London 1968 yeast drops pretty bright prior to filtration so surprised to hear of your issue.

cheers,
    David Richter
    Briess Malting

Comment

How much cold time are you giving your beer before you filter (I have never had an issue filtering any beer with 5 days cold time and at least 3 blow outs)? Are you setting your bed with PAA or beer (setting your bed with beer could allow too much yeast into the bed early)? Are you seeing and stopping yeast from getting into the filter (I like to put a sight glass and 3 way valve at the inlet of the filter. If I see any clumps, I close the inlet valve, put the filter in recirc, and then dump the beer until it gets clear)?

Whatever your problem, I doubt it is the dextrin malt.

Comment

Working...
      X