Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keg cleaning cycle times

Hey guys,

I've seen the post that talks about your keg cleaning and sanitising cycles, which is helpful...but I haven't found anything discussing cycle times...e.g. caustic x minutes, rinse x minutes, etc...

I've been erring on the side of caution by doing a caustic cycle to 20 minutes...but now having to wash a heck of a lot more kegs, which will up to a lot of time...

Do you guys store kegs after they've been cleaned and sanitised and if so how long is pushing it...any tips on how you plan the keg cleaning prior to racking.

Thanks,
    Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
    Chairman of the Beer
    Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
    Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
    W: www.lovibonds.com
    F: LovibondsBrewery
    T: @Lovibonds

Rosie,

Your 20 minute wash cycle sounds like overkill. However, we don't use caustic for keg cleaning, rather an acid-detersive blend, to remove organic soiling as well as mineral deposits. Our wash cycle is 5 minutes. We employ multiple burse rinses with 190F water to rinse and sanitize, and then purge and fill with CO2. We do not often wash and rack at the same time, rather we store the cleaned kegs until we are ready to rack - they are normally filled within a few days. We do not filter nor pasteurize our beer and have had zero contamination issues with this system. I'm sure someone else will chime in with their caustic wash cycle. Hope that helps!

Comment

storeing cleaned kegs is ok for a day or so, after that Id prefer to have them sanitized prior to filling.

I just got a serious keg washer, (today was the firsst day I actually used it), it can clean the keg on the first head in 1min 30 secs, thats alka and acid, then it rinses - steams and charges before filling on the the other head. very fast very intense washing. Im confident my kegs are clean now!
      www.Lervig.no

Comment

We're using a FiveStar chemical protocol: PBW, Acid 5, StarSan. The whole cycle takes about six minutes, purging w/ CO2. Keeping the chemicals in their functional temperature ranges is also key. We store sanitized, pressurized kegs for days before filling. Have had good results with it. I've been using this protocol for years and years with the same good results.

C-Ya!
        dave
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

When you say sanitize, do you run a sanitizing chemical, or do you just mean hot water?

Comment

Originally posted by gallon
            When you say sanitize, do you run a sanitizing chemical, or do you just mean hot water?
            I currently sanitise with PAA at 1%, clear the dips tubes (using cornies) and drain, prior to sealing and venting with CO2, then pressurise.

Cheers,
            Last edited by Rosie; 01-08-2007, 12:15 AM. Reason: pointed out I'm using cornies
            Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
            Chairman of the Beer
            Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
            Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
            W: www.lovibonds.com
            F: LovibondsBrewery
            T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Working...
            X