Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best/Worst excuse for not buying your beer

Everyone,

I've been hitting the road a lot more and was wondering what some of the best/worst/weakest excuses you guys have had for not taking your beer...my current classic came after demonstrating a shiny new tap for the owner:

* Sorry, can't help you, your tap is too tall and my wife would never be able to pull a pint from it...

Got any gems?

Cheers,
    Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
    Chairman of the Beer
    Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
    Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
    W: www.lovibonds.com
    F: LovibondsBrewery
    T: @Lovibonds

"Your beer is unfiltered and I don't want to have to clean my lines."

Yeah, I'll never eat at that restaurant again - they may never wash their dishes either!

Comment

This might be a little off track...we're a brewpub. We sell macro bottles, so my personal favorite from someone drinking (insert generic macro name here) light is that they simply can't handle the alcohol content of our beer. Keep in mind this usually comes from their mouth as they're ordering yet another shot of Jager or another Irish car bomb. Funny....can't handle beer with a 5.5% ABV but can "handle" the alcohol of multiple shots of liquor.
      BrewerTL

Comment

A pizza shop that had expanded into the unit next door to them decided to build a bar to accompany their small restaurant. Hearing about this I stopped in with an info packet on our brewery and beers. Informed the owner that I would be happy to set up a tasting with him and go over our products when they're ready to put something new on tap. His response, " we already have our beers". So I said" yes, I can see that by your tap handles, but when you're ready to switch one of them out and try something new..." He responds "we've already got our beers". So I asked him about his restaurant menu,whether or not it's standard year around or if they ever offer any daily,weekly seasonal specials? He says of course they do, customers really enjoy the new and exciting twists they put on their menu. I said "great, so just imagine what customers would get if they got to try some new beers from time to time, so when you're ready to put some new beer on tap, please feel free to give me a call and we can go over your options."
        He says," but we've already got our beers."
        Cheers,
        Mike Roy
        Brewmaster
        Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
        5123 Baltimore Ave
        Hyattsville,MD 20781
        301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
        @franklinsbrwry
        facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

when I was in Italy someone would say, "hey try this guys beer, he makes it himself" while standing in my bar.... the guy would reply" no thanks, I had a girlfriend who's brother homebrewed and it was awful"...

or the classic Italian excuse not to have a beer, even if i offered it for free, "no thanks I havent eaten"
          www.Lervig.no

Comment

Originally posted by rudge75
            "Your beer is unfiltered and I don't want to have to clean my lines."

Yeah, I'll never eat at that restaurant again - they may never wash their dishes either!
            haha, that's amazing!!
            GeorgeJ
            Head Brewer - TDM 1874 Brewery.
            Yokohama, Japan.

Comment

My favorite has to be, "no thanks, we only sell American beers here". I couldn't resist pointing out that my brewery was two miles away, and definitely American, while the Coors Light and Miller Light he had on tap were owned by "furriners".
              Linus Hall
              Yazoo Brewing
              Nashville, TN
              www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

I think our group experiences beg the question:

Are these really the places we want our beer anyways?

Are we that desparate for sales?

My answer to both is usually no. Especially given that my beer might languish on tap, and the next rep through the door to dangle some schwag would get more sales push regardless of the quality of his/her beer.

When he told me he never cleaned his lines, I knew right away I'd never bother to make a sales call to him again. That's just gross.

Comment

just turned my head and walked away....

i can not be alone on this one....

best excuse, "well (scratching head and shaking from overload of coffee and/or green tea), what'll you give us?"

response : "i'll give you the best beer i can make for money."

and then: "I mean, what'll you give us for free. the other guys give us promotions and free kegs and such."

response: "thank you for your time....."

et cetera et cetera.....
                  k. m. kerner

Comment

Originally posted by lhall
                    My favorite has to be, "no thanks, we only sell American beers here". I couldn't resist pointing out that my brewery was two miles away, and definitely American, while the Coors Light and Miller Light he had on tap were owned by "furriners".

Yea, I always get a giggle when people tell me in our tasting room, "I don't drink micros. I only drink domestic beers!" (Usually they puff out their chest at this point). I then get the joy of informing them that most "domestics" have some form of "non-domestic" ownership and, by the way, our beer is made twenty feet away. I saw a great quote once "You don't need a born-on date when your drinking in the nursery!".

Keep fighting the good fight
                    Dave
                    Glacier Brewing Company
                    406-883-2595
                    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Cowtown Brewing

Craft brewing in my area of the US brings some of the funniest remarks and skepticism, as this is one of the last frontiers for craft beer: Texas. My restaurant and brewery is in Fort Worth (Cowtown), allbeit in one of the most affluent areas of the city.

The "head of the house" male told his family - after one inquired about ordering one of my beers - "You have to be careful about these brewery places, you never know what they're really doing in there. "

A gentleman told me with a game face and ready to argue, "This beer is too good to be made in that little brewery..." I bit my tongue and walked away and he says, "Yeah, thought so..."

"What do you make in there? Tortillas?!!"

"I don't drink draft beer, there was a 60 minutes special that explained how beer line bacteria can kill you..." THAT'S WHY BEER HAS BEEN THE CHOICE BEVERAGE FOR MILLENIA...IT WON'T KILL YOU!!!

"What do yall brew here...? That DARK beer?!"

"If it's better than Budweiser they'd be brewing it..." Well, they are brewing Bud Select...

Aright enough I'm getting depressed...

Figure I'd muster a few laughs...

Jamie

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

Ever heard this one?

Alright. Let's see if anyone else has heard this little gem. I've actually heard this more than once.

When trying to convince someone to try our Brown Ale, I've heard: "I don't like those ales. I only like beer."

No shit.
                        Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
                        Strangeways Brewing
                        2277-A Dabney Road
                        Richmond, VA 23230
                        804-303-4336
                        www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

Excuses

My Grandpa used to Homebrew and it was aweful- found out he's Grandpa died 27 years ago when he was 9 years old
                          Harald Mois

Comment

Excuses

I don't like that microbrew stuff. It's too heavy.

My thought: It's not like drinking a 18 pk of Bud won't fill you up!

or

I want 3 on 10 cases......

My Thought GFY!
                            Kai Adams
                            Sebago Brewing Company
                            www.sebagobrewing.com

Comment

While doing some cleaning in the brewhouse which is right behind the bar in the pub, a older gentleman in his 70s was looking over the area and equipment and asked me the most unusual question I have ever encountered. " He asked me in all sincerity " is that where you kill the chickens"?

I was so shocked, I had no response (I always have a resonse)... I just walked away...I still think about that one.
                              Cheers,
                              Mike Roy
                              Brewmaster
                              Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
                              5123 Baltimore Ave
                              Hyattsville,MD 20781
                              301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
                              @franklinsbrwry
                              facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

Working...