Catty Chinook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catty Chinook

I recently designed a 7 bbl IPA recipe with chinook and cascade that tastes great out of the gate. However, after hitting it with 4 lbs of chinook for a dry hop, it smells like straight cat piss. I use chinook in varying amounts for dry hops in other beers and never have this problem. Any ideas? Thanks!

In your other recipes with Chinook as a dry hop, do you use it straight or with other hops? How about with this beer? I find Chinook to be very catty, and although I do dry hop with it in an Imperial IPA recipe I have, I do it with both Cascade and Columbus. I think the catty characteristics are lessened when paired with other hop varieties. I also find that the catty characteristics are less pronounced with heavier-bodied ales.

If you're still in a place to mess with the beer in bulk, you could off-gas the beer a couple of times to try to cut down on the straight Chinook aroma, and then hit it again with some gentler hops to bring back the aroma.

Comment

Originally posted by blonberg View Post
      In your other recipes with Chinook as a dry hop, do you use it straight or with other hops? How about with this beer? I find Chinook to be very catty, and although I do dry hop with it in an Imperial IPA recipe I have, I do it with both Cascade and Columbus. I think the catty characteristics are lessened when paired with other hop varieties. I also find that the catty characteristics are less pronounced with heavier-bodied ales.

If you're still in a place to mess with the beer in bulk, you could off-gas the beer a couple of times to try to cut down on the straight Chinook aroma, and then hit it again with some gentler hops to bring back the aroma.

In this particular recipe it's the only dry hop. I have another recipe I mix it in with Cascade and Columbus as well, with Chinook in lesser amounts. It's too bad because I really like the flavor Chinook adds from dry hop, but that aroma.....yeesh. I was just wondering if there was a thresh hold for lbs./bbl to avoid that catty aroma. I don't get it when mixed with other hops, but its contributions are less defined.

Comment

Working...
      X