PDA

View Full Version : Filling sixtels from 1/2 bbl

fatback
07-18-2017, 03:55 PM
Has anyone filled sixtels or 1/4 bbl kegs from half bbl kegs? My half bbl kegs are my tax vessels but I need to put into something smaller for distribution. Any suggestions on an effective way to do it while maintaining carb levels? I'm used to filling kegs from the brite where I can watch and adjust the tank pressure to keep it steady.

mswebb
07-18-2017, 07:39 PM
No different than filling from a brite tank. Standard coupler out to filler coupler in. Pressurize the receiving keg to the pressure of the sending keg and then slowly release pressure from the receiving keg. Just don't go too fast. I'd recommend putting the receiving keg on a scale and monitoring the transfer rate.

Jer
07-18-2017, 09:49 PM
As mswebb said - it's dead easy. You need a regular sanke connector on your 1/2bbl, and one that is modified on your 1/4 or 1/6 with the check devices removed to allow the beer into the outlet, and to allow gas to vent out the usual "gas in" port.

One of these is a big help:

https://www.gwkent.com/proline-ii-keg-filler-fob.html

It's grossly overpriced, but it's helpful. Since I bought mine I no longer weigh the kegs as I fill. It stops when it's full, period.

-J.

fatback
07-19-2017, 12:51 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping it was as simple as is seemed. Would you just keep the co2 pressure on the 1/2 bbl keg at serving pressure or crank it up a bit?

Sauce
07-19-2017, 06:24 AM
......and getting decent fills on all 3 sixtels is dependent on how full the half was. Also like others have said, go slow. And at the first sign of foam out of the first two sixtels, stop the fill and move on the the next sixtel.

Jer
07-19-2017, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was hoping it was as simple as is seemed. Would you just keep the co2 pressure on the 1/2 bbl keg at serving pressure or crank it up a bit?

I'd suggest keeping it at the same pressure that you carbonated at. That should keep all your CO2 in solution instead of as foam.

That GW Kent thing that I linked to does a great job of "going slow" and maintaining some backpressure, again, to keep that gas where it belongs....